INDIA: Lexus defers debut beyond 2013
Lexus had earlier planned to launch in India by 2013, the The Times of India reported.
Sandeep Singh, deputy MD of Toyota’s Indian subsidiary Toyota Kirloskar Motors, confirmed to the paper the luxury brand would not be making a debut any time soon.
"It will not be in 2013," Singh said, blaming a variety of negative factors for the decision. He said import duty on fully-built cars is very steep in India especially after it was raised in the union budget last year.
"This is a major hurdle as far as getting in Lexus is concerned as we have plans only to import the vehicles and not make them here."
A sharp depreciation of the rupee was another factor.
"The fall in rupee has also emerged as a major challenge and just does not make it right to import the cars."
The paper noted that Mercedes in 2012 saw sales fall for the first time since 2009 last year while BMW has also been under pressure.
Toyota’s plans to launch Lexus in India were announced by a senior company official during the Tokyo show in late 2011. The company had planned separate dealerships for the brand as in most markets.
Lexus was launched originally in the US in 1989 and its cars are made at four plants in Japan and one in Canada.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
Robert Bosch plans to start automotive component manufacturing in Indonesia with an initial spend of EUR10m....
Market analysts are predicting that June will be another strong month for the recovering US light vehicle market, driven by retail sales....
So-called 'Active Multibeam LED' headlights will be launched by Mercedes-Benz in 2014, the company has revealed....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)