INDONESIA: Krakatau and Nippon forge automotive steel partnership
Indonesian state-owned steel company PT Krakatau Steel announced an agreement late last year (2012) to build a new steel plant in partnership with Japan’s Nippon Steel and Sumitomo Metal Corporation.
The joint venture, to be called Krakatau Nippon Steel Sumikin, will produce high grade flat steel mainly for the Indonesian automotive industry which is dominated by Japanese vehicle manufacturers.
The new facility will be built in the sprawling Krakatau Industrial Estate in Cilegon, on the eastern tip of the island of Java.
Krakatau will take a 49% stake in the new venture with Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal owning the remaining 51%.
Steel demand by the country’s automotive industry has grown sharply in recent years, with new vehicle sales expected to reach 1.1m units in 2012.
Sectors: Service suppliers/supply chain
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global material trends sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
New to just-auto this quarter, this report has been extracted from QUBE and provides a comprehensive overview of the vehicle lightweighting megatrend, the technologies, materials and suppliers involve...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- BMW launches smartphone wireless charging
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020