SLOVAKIA: Kia reports record car and engine production
- Slovakia plant output up 15% year on year to 292,000 cars
- 2013 target: 290,000 vehicles and 490,000 engines
Kia's Zilina plant in Slovakia produced a record 292,000 cars and 464,000 engines in 2012 - its highest output to date and respective increases of 15% and 29% over 2011.
A three shift operation was introduced with 3,900 workers in January 2012, building the C-segment cee'd (three body styles), B-segment Venga and Sportage SUV.
The 2013 target is 290,000 vehicles and 490,000 engines.
Production of the redesigned three-door pro_cee'd variant starts this quarter; output of the five-door hatchback and wagons began in 2012.
In 2012, Zilina plant built 136,500 Sportage (47%), 120,600 cee'd (41%), and 34,900 Venga (12%). Sportage output was up 34% year on year; the current model was launched in 2010.
Last year about 22% of production went to Russia, 12% to the UK, 11% to Germany, 6% to France and 5% to Italy.
Engine output of 464,000 was up 29% with diesels accounting for 45%. The most popular engine assembled at Zilina in 2012 was the 1.6-litre diesel - 21%.
- Kia Motors Slovakia produced more than 292,000 cars in 2012, a 15 per cent year-on-year increase
- Kia plans to manufacture 290,000 vehicles and 490,000 engines in 2013
Kia's Žilina plant in Slovakia produced a record-breaking 292,000 cars and 464,000 engines in 2012 - its highest ever output and respective increases of 15 per cent and 29 per cent over 2011.
Since a three-shift operation was introduced by the 3,900 factory employees in January 2012, Žilina has produced consistently high volumes of models such as the new cee'd family, Venga and Sportage,.
In 2013, the Žilina plant is expecting to produce 290,000 vehicles and 490,000 engines with production of the all-new pro_cee'd model beginning in the first quarter.
Eek-Hee Lee, President and CEO of Kia Motors Slovakia commented, "We have just completed a year of record production for Kia Motors Slovakia, demonstrating the fast-growing demand for Kia's range of models across Europe. It also represents the result of the hard work and enthusiasm of all our employees, who are currently undergoing training in advance of the launch of the new pro_cee'd".
In 2012, the Žilina plant produced around 136,500 units of the Sportage (47 per cent of total production), more than 120,600 cee'd models (41 per cent), and over 34,900 Venga (12 per cent). The Sportage posted a 34 per cent year-on-year increase over the previous year's production.
Kia Motors Slovakia exports its output across Europe, with more than 22 per cent of 2012 production delivered to Russia, 12 per cent to the United Kingdom, 11 per cent to Germany, six per cent to France and five per cent to Italy.
Manufacturing more than 464,000 engines in 2012, the plant posted a 29 per cent year-on-year increase, with diesel engines representing 45 per cent of overall production, and petrol units 55 per cent. The most popular engine assembled at Žilina is the 1.6-litre diesel, with 99,000 examples accounting for 21 per cent of total 2012 engine production.
As well as equipping the facility and training staff ahead of production of new-generation pro_cee'd, the Žilina plant will also manufacture Kia's first performance-oriented vehicle - the pro_cee'd GT - from later in the year.
Original source: http://www.headlineauto.co.uk/release.asp?nReleaseID=29701
The analysts writing this report forecast the Global Fuel Cell market will grow at a CAGR of 16.49 percent over the period 2011-2015. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the ...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Hyundai Motor has completed the expansion of its car assembly plant in Turkey, increasing the company's production capacity in Europe to 500,000 units a year....
Renault Samsung Motors, which saw first half global sales plunge 29.3% to 58,705 units and domestic sales tumble 14.2% to make it the nation's smallest car maker behind SsangYong, has agreed a new pay...
Kia's global sales in the first half of the year were 1.4m, an increase of 2.6% over the same period last year, with gains in China and Europe offsetting falling sales in North America and the domesti...
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- Regulatory concerns grow in China
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The August harvest...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Volvo XC70
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- ZF's TRW plans hit a Bosch hitch - report
- Serious concern on Russia auto sanction rumours
- Volvo Cars hails new engineering architecture
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times