US: Kia eyes diesel entry in US
Kia is looking at introducing diesel engines to America as part of its long-term plan to continue growing by entering new segments.
The arrival of the K900, a Mercedes S-Class-sized luxury saloon, in the US in February and the launch of the company's first commercially available all-electric car, the Soul EV, towards the end of this year are two pointers as to how Kia is expanding its range to appeal to new customers.
And the company now sees potential for diesel in the traditionally hostile US market - although not for another three or four years.
"The problem right now is that there are different emissions standards in Europe and the US, which means we would be faced with different after-treatments, and that makes it very expensive," says Orth Hedrick, the vice-president of product planning for Kia Motors America.
"But with EU6 in 2017-18 there would be the same standards in both Europe and the US, and that gives us a better chance." Hedrick insists that no decision has been taken, but is encouraged by the progress German manufacturers are making at converting Americans to diesel - even if they are offering dealers and buyers support to do so.
The US has now overtaken Kia's domestic market, Korea, as the brand's top-selling region, and is by far its most profitable sales area because of the upmarket models which dominate. Kia sold more than 500,000 cars in the US in 2013, including 100,000 Sorento SUVs and a similar number of Optima saloons, both of which are produced locally.
The company enjoyed its best-ever half-year in the US between January and June 2014, with 297,500 sales, including a record month in May, when it sold 60,000 cars.
Kia Motors Corporation - SWOT Analysis company profile is the essential source for top-level company data and information. Kia Motors Corporation - SWOT Analysis examines the company’s key business......
New Cars in Kuwait industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profil...
New Cars in Colombia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
Automotive Manufacturing in South Korea industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche 911 Targa 4
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Active safety in the spotlight
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Škoda Octavia estate 4x4
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- Bear Grylls, brand ambassador for Land Rover
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- Lada production to be cut as sales stall
- Volvo to skip all-aluminium for carbon fibre
- MOSCOW SHOW: Datsun, Lada & Renault debuts
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times