INDIA: Isuzu firms up factory plans - report
Isuzu Motors is reported to have firmed up plans for India with a manufacturing plant in Sri City, Andhra Pradesh.
Isuzu will spend US$185m on the greenfield plant that can make nearly 50,000 vehicles a year, The Times of India reported.
An announcement is expected on 15 March in Hyderabad, the paper said. The plant will be ready for production by 2015.
"The initial plan is to roll out MU7 Choiz (a sports utility vehicle with a three-litre engine) and V Cross, [a pickup truck with a] 2.5-litre engine," sources told the paper.
Homologation was completed a few weeks ago in Pune.
Isuzu, known for trucks, buses and diesel engines will concentrate on pick-ups and SUVs in India, the paper said. Isuzu's Panther SUV is rebadged by General Motors India as the Chevrolet Tavera in India and its diesel engines are installed in Hindustan Motors’ Ambassador and Contessa car models.
Sri City, though located in Andhra Pradesh, is just on the outskirts of Chennai, close to parts suppliers serving that city's auto manufacturing hub, and also close to a large port.
"Andhra Pradesh is desperate to get an automotive factory. Remember the failed Vashishta Wahan, which was supposed to be an Indian arm of Volkswagen, but turned out to be a fictitious entity. They are going all out for a car plant, but nothing happened. Even with Isuzu, the original announcement was due in December-end, but has since been postponed to March," sources told The Times of India.
The Toyota group sold 4.91m units in the first half of 2013, making it the world's top car seller in the period for the second straight year....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
General Motors has announced second quarter net income of US$1.2bn, or $0.75 per share. Special items reduced net income by $0.2bn, or $0.09 per share, the automaker noted. This was a $240m "loss on e...
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
In one of the biggest automotive recalls in India, US car major General Motors on Wednesday red flagged 114,000 units of its Chevrolet Tavera utility vehicle produced since 2005 for a faulty emissions...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
After two decades of domination, Japanese and European models have lost the number one sedan spot in the US to one of the most iconic of American automotive names....
General Motors (GM) India will restart production of Chevrolet Sail diesel models by the end of July. The company temporarily suspended production in June due to quality issues. The automaker will als...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Peugeot Quartz concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)