HONG KONG: Infiniti announces new system for model names
The new conventions will apply from North America's 2014 model year, with existing models renamed to reflect their ranking within the brand's line-up. In addition, the replacement for today's G Sedan will be launched as the Infiniti Q50.
Each vehicle will be prefixed either by Q – for sedans, coupes and convertibles, or QX, for crossover and SUV models. Each model will be further identified by a double digit representing hierarchy within the range. The new line-up will be as follows:
- Q50 (global debut at 2013 Detroit motor show)
- Q60 (succeeds the G Coupe & Convertible)
- Q70 (formerly M Sedan)
- QX50 (formerly EX)
- QX60 (formerly JX)
- QX70 (formerly FX)
- QX80 (formerly QX)
Commenting on the revised naming philosophy, Johan de Nysschen, President of Infiniti Motor Company Limited, said: "Over the past few months, we have talked at length with our retailers, our customers, and our business partners about our brand. The need for a new identity and direction to promote consumer familiarity with our model range as we expand the portfolio became evident. To achieve this, we clearly needed a simple and consistent nomenclature framework. After exhaustive research and evaluation, we concluded that 'Q' captured the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, as well as emphasising our performance credentials while harking back to our heritage with the Q45 – Infiniti's first iconic flagship product in 1989."
Infiniti's new nomenclature strategy will be implemented in logical stages within the existing product range, as 2014 model year variants are introduced.
As for the forthcoming C-segment model for European markets, this will logically be badged 'Q30' or 'Q40'. This model, due in 2015, will use the Mercedes-Benz MFA platform (A-Class, B-Class, CLA-Class).
Author: Glenn Brooks
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
Senior Nissan executive Andy Palmer has told an auto industry forum in London that the Chinese OEMs are set to grab a big slice of future growth in the world's automotive market....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
Top Nissan Motor executive Andy Palmer told an auto industry forum in London demand is growing worldwide for new cars, particularly in China and India....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Big fish eaten by bigger fish
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar launches India assembled XJ
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn