US: Hyundai plans Alabama plant closures
Hyundai Motor is the latest automaker to announce production cuts in the US.
Its Alabama plant, which began pilot production in 2004, will close between 19 December and 4 January, after buyer demand fell, the automaker told Reuters.
Hyundai's US sales last month were off 39.7% to 19,221 and down just over 10% to 378,000 year to date.
The company initially struggled to get enough volume for the 3000-worker plant, just-auto understands. The 'greenfield' facility - Hyundai's first and only vehicle making facility in the US - was built originally to make the Sonata sedan, a rival for the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, but early sales did not match plant capacity and the Santa Fe SUV was added in 2007.
Toyota yesterday announced more cuts at plants in the US and Canada.
Hyundai US spokesman Robert Burns told Reuters hourly production workers would remain on the payroll during the shutdown while non-production crews would perform maintenance.
General Motors Asia-Pacific has moved swiftly to reassure its partners and customers on the viability of its operations in the region, despite its US parent company filing a Chapter 11 bankruptcy peti...
In some ways this was a hugely momentous week, historic even. In the end and after a long build up, it was perhaps something of an anti-climax when GM finally filed for Chapter 11. But it is the bigge...
Honda has denied press reports that it is to move the development of its 660cc mini-vehicles to one of its subsidiaries....
Electric vehicles are a viable option but only as compact commuters, a senior Toyota official said on Thursday....
Toyota will start building - from assembly kits, as at present - the third generation Prius hybrid in China early in 2010 but no date has been set for postponed US production to start, officials told ...
Toyota's new Prius hybrid was Japan's best-selling vehicle in May with monthly sales of 10,915 units. The Prius outsold Honda's Insight hybrid, which topped the sales chart in April - a first for a hy...
New vehicle sales in Indonesia declined by 34.4% in May to 32,500 units, compared with 49,561 units a year earlier, according to preliminary data released by PT Toyota Astra Motor - Toyota's local dis...
Hyundai Motor is recalling 91,202 Hyundai Sonata sedans in the US to change interior door handles that could cause cuts to the fingers of passengers....
- ANALYSIS: Hyundai axes Veloster, goes after Toyota
- Review of 2014 (1)
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 2
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Bleak Christmas ahead for some
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 1
- Ford union to block "even a screwdriver" at Genk
- JLR research removes blind spots
- Genk mayor organises "loudest shift" as Ford exits
- NHTSA lists Ford, Jaguar and Porsche recalls
- Bye, Chrysler, hello FCA US
- Global light diesel vehicles market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029