SOUTH KOREA: Hyundai, Kia, face massive lawsuits in US
According to South Korea's Chosun Ilbo, the two Korean automakers had immediately announced compensation for customers after the US Environmental Protection Agency announced earlier they overstated the fuel efficiency of 1.07m cars but that was apparently not enough to head off a flood of lawsuits.
A law firm that specialises in class-action lawsuits is handling the latest case.
Small-scale lawsuits have already been filed against Hyundai and Kia in the USstate of Ohio and in Ontario, Canada.
Seattle-based firm Hagens Berman said it had filed a $775m compensation suit in a Los Angeles court on behalf of 23 consumers who say they lost money due to the false claim.
The firm has filed huge class-action lawsuits against Enron, Exxon Mobil, Boeing and other major US companies.
Rob Carey, an attorney at Hagens Berman, said the compensation plans offered by Hyundai and Kia were merely attempts to "shirk financial responsibility".
A Hyundai spokesman said, "The present compensation programme is the fastest way to resolve the problem. We don't expect major problems in the US."
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Sales of new cars in Germany, Europe's biggest market, grew 3.8% to 284,400 vehicles last month compared with 273,900 in April 2012. It was the first increase for six months and the biggest since Dece...
Hyundai Motor will expand production at one of its factories in Beijing, China....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- ZF UK axle factory marks 10 years of JLR supply
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report