SOUTH KOREA: Hyundai, Kia, face massive lawsuits in US
According to South Korea's Chosun Ilbo, the two Korean automakers had immediately announced compensation for customers after the US Environmental Protection Agency announced earlier they overstated the fuel efficiency of 1.07m cars but that was apparently not enough to head off a flood of lawsuits.
A law firm that specialises in class-action lawsuits is handling the latest case.
Small-scale lawsuits have already been filed against Hyundai and Kia in the USstate of Ohio and in Ontario, Canada.
Seattle-based firm Hagens Berman said it had filed a $775m compensation suit in a Los Angeles court on behalf of 23 consumers who say they lost money due to the false claim.
The firm has filed huge class-action lawsuits against Enron, Exxon Mobil, Boeing and other major US companies.
Rob Carey, an attorney at Hagens Berman, said the compensation plans offered by Hyundai and Kia were merely attempts to "shirk financial responsibility".
A Hyundai spokesman said, "The present compensation programme is the fastest way to resolve the problem. We don't expect major problems in the US."
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Sales of new cars in Germany, Europe's biggest market, grew 3.8% to 284,400 vehicles last month compared with 273,900 in April 2012. It was the first increase for six months and the biggest since Dece...
Hyundai Motor will expand production at one of its factories in Beijing, China....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Lexus concedes to Germany
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Lexus NX 300h
- PLDB Future Models - LA & Guangzhou shows insights
- INTERVIEW: Fiat brand head, Olivier Francois
- COMMENT: Nuclear talks to kick-start basic safety?
- BELGIUM: Jaguar overtaken by Lexus across Europe
- 2014 LA SHOW: World debuts list [final version]
- Jaguar Land Rover to recall vehicles over TPMS
- GUANGZHOU DEBUTS: Global third generation Chevrole
- JLR announces new connectivity platform/app