BRAZIL: Hyundai HB20S a strong competitor in compact saloon market
Including the April IPI (consumption) tax hike, retail prices range from BRL39,495/US$19,770 to BRL53,595/US$25,797, a clear clue that the brand is not concerned at all with an aggressive marketing strategy because the product speaks for itself.
The compact was designed and produced specifically for Brazil and the new factory in Piracicaba, São Paulo state, will have to work hard to cope with expected demand.
With only the hatchback and its pseudo offroad adventurer HB20X variant on sale so far, the new Hyundai is already in the top five best sellers and may climb to fourth with saloon volume added. Its closest rival, also selling well, is General Motors' Chevrolet Onix/Prisma duo while Toyota's Etios hatch and saloon range is yet to take off.
Hyundai has not yet talked about adding a third shift in Piracicaba but rumours suggest the present high sales trend could see this in place by the end of the year or early 2014.
The HB20 saloon is stylish but boot volume, at 450 litres, is amongst the segment’s smallest.
Like the hatch, three trim levels are offered and engine choices are one-litre 79bhp and 1.6-litre 126 bhp petrol.
The base model has air conditioning, audio system with Bluetooth and MP3, power windows, locks and mirrors, plus driver’s seat and steering column height adjustment.
Struggling PSA Peugeot Citroen is considering an equity tie up with its Chinese partner, Dongfeng Motor, and has instructed two banks to carry out a study of the implications, according to local repor...
The claim by Duncan Aldred, head of General Motors' UK and Northern Ireland brand Vauxhall, the company will overtake Ford to claim UK market leadership by 2016 seems to have surprised his colleagues ...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030