BRAZIL: Hyundai HB20S a strong competitor in compact saloon market
Including the April IPI (consumption) tax hike, retail prices range from BRL39,495/US$19,770 to BRL53,595/US$25,797, a clear clue that the brand is not concerned at all with an aggressive marketing strategy because the product speaks for itself.
The compact was designed and produced specifically for Brazil and the new factory in Piracicaba, São Paulo state, will have to work hard to cope with expected demand.
With only the hatchback and its pseudo offroad adventurer HB20X variant on sale so far, the new Hyundai is already in the top five best sellers and may climb to fourth with saloon volume added. Its closest rival, also selling well, is General Motors' Chevrolet Onix/Prisma duo while Toyota's Etios hatch and saloon range is yet to take off.
Hyundai has not yet talked about adding a third shift in Piracicaba but rumours suggest the present high sales trend could see this in place by the end of the year or early 2014.
The HB20 saloon is stylish but boot volume, at 450 litres, is amongst the segment’s smallest.
Like the hatch, three trim levels are offered and engine choices are one-litre 79bhp and 1.6-litre 126 bhp petrol.
The base model has air conditioning, audio system with Bluetooth and MP3, power windows, locks and mirrors, plus driver’s seat and steering column height adjustment.
Struggling PSA Peugeot Citroen is considering an equity tie up with its Chinese partner, Dongfeng Motor, and has instructed two banks to carry out a study of the implications, according to local repor...
The claim by Duncan Aldred, head of General Motors' UK and Northern Ireland brand Vauxhall, the company will overtake Ford to claim UK market leadership by 2016 seems to have surprised his colleagues ...
- Volkswagen counts the cost of 'dieselgate'
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- TowerSec VP on automotive cyber security - Q&A
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Ford says new Fusion hybrid has 610 miles of range
- just-auto takes a break
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market - forecasts to 2030