JAPAN: Honda results down but planning bounce-back
Honda Motor operating income for fiscal year 2011/12) fell 59.4% year on year to JPY231.3bn (GBP1.76bn) on revenue down to JPY7,948bn from JPY8,937bn.
Though motorcycle revenue rose, Honda attributed the poor overall result to decreased automobile production due to the Japanese earthquake and the flooding in Thailand, increased R&D expenses and the strong yen.
Net income fell 60% to JPY211.4bn yen (GBP1.61b).
However, fourth quarter operating income rose to JPY111.9bn (GBP855.7m) compared to JPY46.2bn a year ago as motorcycle sales increased 10.6% to record-high unit sales (close to 3.5m) globally for any quarter, as power products and automobile sales also rose, mainly in Japan and North America.
Acknowledging that production and profit were "severely affected by external factors during the last fiscal year", Honda said it was "planning a strong recovery during the forthcoming year, forecasting an all-time record of 4.3m automobile sales (compared to 3.1m during the previous year) with model changes for major lines and the introduction of new models, coupled with expansion of production capacity in North America and China. It sold 3.14m cars in fiscal 2012, down 375,000. Increases in motorcycle and power product unit sales are also planned.
The FY13 operating profit forecast is JPY620bn, up 168% on fiscal 2012. Honda suggested a more reasonable comparison was with natural disaster-unaffected FY11 operating income of JPY569.7bn so the forecast is a "more understandable 9%".
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
Joint venture Beijing Hyundai celebrated its 10th anniversary in China with record monthly sales, overtaking Japanese rivals whose sales slumped because of the dispute over the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands....
Nissan Motor is aiming to double its production in Thailand with plans for a new JPY30bn (US$376m) factory near Bangkok, according to media reports....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- INTERVIEW: Ford Europe COO Barb Samardzich
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018