JAPAN: Honda plans best in class hybrid
Honda is set to launch a hybrid sedan with a best-in-class fuel economy of 29km per litre, reports The Nikkei newspaper.
This vehicle will be developed as a fully re-modelled Japanese version of the Accord sedan, which will be offered as a hybrid-only in its domestic market.
Its mileage will outpace the 23.4km per litre and 23.2km per litre of Toyota’s Camry and Crown hybrids. It will also beat Honda’s own Insight hybrid's 27.2km per litre.
The Accord Hybrid will feature a drive system based on two electric motors and a gasoline engine, the Nikkei said. Toyota has been using this configuration, but Honda has employed a simpler hybrid system that uses a single motor to assist the gasoline engine.
The system can run the vehicle off the motors alone and harness energy generated while decelerating for later use to boost fuel economy. Honda is looking to sell around 10,000 units a year in Japan.
The Accord was once Honda's flagship vehicle. But as the sedan segment has shrunk, domestic sales fell from 100,000 units a year in the 1970s and '80s to around 3,200 in 2011.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
Toyota's Prius hybrid again topped the January-June car sales ranking in Japan, including minivehicles, an auto industry group said....
A total of 12,790 imported cars were sold in South Korea in June, up 20.9% on the same month last year but down 4.6% on May, the Korea Automobile Importers and Distributors Association said....
The hybrid version of Honda's next generation Fit (Jazz in some markets) will be the world's most fuel-efficient car, beating current leader Toyota's Prius c (Aqua in Japan)....
New vehicle sales in Taiwan increased by 7.6% year on year to 32,579 in June, according to industry sources....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Toyota's FCV cometh
- VA: Minnow Mitsubishi not short on L200 claims
- Q&A: Kia MD sees 100,000 sales in UK
- Kia UK MD on how to raise brand pricing
- ANALYSIS: New DS 5 & the future of PSA's new brand
- JCI confirms auto exit as supplier eddies swirl
- Hackers gain remote control of Jeep in demo
- Mitsubishi ending US production
- FCA to recall 1,060,531 Ram trucks
- VW India three top sales executives step down
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030