JAPAN: Honda claims world's best economy with redesigned Fit/Jazz
According to the Nikkei, the hybrid Fit achieves 36km per litre (102mpg) in Japan’s Transport Ministry test cycle known as JC08.
This betters the Toyota Aqua’s 35.4km per litre and the Prius at 30km.
Until now, Honda’s most fuel efficient car has been the Accord Hybrid, also achieving 30km per litre, which went on sale last month.
The current Fit Hybrid achieves 26.4km per litre. The new Fit goes on sale in Japan in September before being rolled out in the US and then Europe, the Nikkei notes, adding Honda plans to almost double Fit production from around 800,000 cars a year to some 1.5m as it lifts global sales 50% to 6m by 2017.
Current models for Europe are built at Honda's English plant in Swindon but the company has said the new line will be sourced from abroad. Honda has built a new Yorii plant in Saitama, Japan, specially for the new car which starts operations this month and features cost-saving 'state of the art' painting facilities.
A Honda UK spokesman said local launch was likely by the end of 2014 and the source plant had not yet been confirmed.
The outgoing model - now about six years old - is also assembled in China and built in Brazil.
Additional reporting: Graeme Roberts
Motorcycles - BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) Industry Guide is an essential resource for top-level data and analysis covering the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) Motorcycles industry. The rep...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028