FRANCE: No contact yet between Titan and Amiens Nord: Goodyear
Goodyear France says it is unaware of a potential bid from US tyre company, Titan International, that could see 333 out of almost 1,200 jobs saved at its France site of Amiens Nord.
Speculation in France is centering on contact between Titan CEO, Maurice Taylor and Industry Minister, Arnaud Montebourg, with a view to a possible purchase of the Amiens operation that would see a considerably smaller workforce employed.
Any such establishment of relations would represent a remarkable turnaround between both parties, who engaged in a bitter war of words earlier this year concerning the efficiency of French workers following a former bid for the Amiens operation by Titan.
"We were not aware there was an offer - Titan did not get in touch with us," a Goodyear France mangement spokesman told just-auto from France.
"We learned yesterday [from speculation] there were these negotiations and the proposition between the Cabinet of Montebourg and Titan."
Reports in France also indicate there could be a meeting tomorrow (23 October) in Paris where the Industry Minister will meet French unions to discuss the proposal.
Some 57 companies around the world that were potentially thought suitable for a takeover were previously contacted by the French Agency for International Investment (AFII), of which eight declared themselves interested, but Titan's apparent renewed enthusiasm will clearly kindle close union scrutiny.
"Production levels have of course decreased, but the workforce [1,173 staff] is still there," said the Goodyear France management spokesman.
For its part, the French CGT union noted: "We had contact more than 15 days ago with Montebourg's Cabinet, where we discussed the future of the Amiens Nord site, this time the government is officialising the matter: 333 jobs saved."
Neither Titan nor the French Industry Ministry were immediately available for comment.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
Goodyear has posted posted a strong set of fourth quarter financial results that have cheered investors as the share price surged in early trading....
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been...
Goodyear says its Amiens Nord plant in France has finally closed with the loss of 1,200 jobs, following an improved redundancy deal with the unions....
Global Auto Components industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also ...
France's economic redevelopment minister, Arnaud Montebourg, is describing the involvement of Paris in the potential PSA Peugeot Citroen capital increase as an act of "industrial patriotism."...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028