US: GM's Chevrolet applies for El Camino trademark
General Motors appears to be reviving the El Camino nameplate for North America, this time on an Australian-made variant of the Holden Commodore Ute (for utility or pickup truck).
Enthusiast blogger website GM Authority has been poking around in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (discovering in the process the trademarked Nomad nameplate, as in '57 Chevrolet two-door wagon, had been renewed) and found an El Camino trademark application filed on 9 August, 2012.
There have been rumours the Chevrolet El Camino - a pickup spinoff off a saloon car made in North America between 1959 and 1977 would return as an American variant of the Commodore Ute/HSV Maloo and pick up where the stillborn Pontiac G8 ST left off, the website noted.
Holden built a Pontiac GTO variant of its Commodore-derived Monaro coupe for the now defunct US brand and followed up with the G8 sedan when the Commodore was redesigned. A G8 ST 'El Camino' was reportedly planned before GM pulled the plug on Pontiac and went through government-assisted Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Motor Authority said: "If we were to connect the dots, both the Chevrolet Nomad sport wagon and El Camino ute would be derivatives of the upcoming Chevrolet SS sport sedan, which is a spin-off from the Holden Commodore sedan. For GM performance enthusiasts, each model is something to get very excited about."
More read-it-and-weep news for struggling European rivals from Volkswagen group this week as it chalked up another little milestone - selling over 3m vehicles in the first four months of a year....
This Case Study examines the factors that led to US auto giant GM's bankruptcy in 2009, describes its rescue plan, and assesses its effectiveness....
Toyota Motor plans a joint venture with a local company in China to produce batteries for the country's growing petrol-electric hybrid car market, a Beijing-based company spokesman said....
Not long ago the subcompact market in Brazil was regarded as niche and far from attractive to automakers. Current offerings are all imports like the Fiat 500 (from Mexico under the free trade agreeme...
PSA Peugeot Citroen may have to raise funds through a share sale as it burns through cash in a weak market, sources told the Reuters news agency....
Two new family-oriented crossovers have done well in the latest Euro NCAP crash test results....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018