SOUTH KOREA: GM 'to switch Chevy production to Europe'
The Cruze is already built or assembled in South Korea, the US, Russia, China, Thailand, India and Australia. According to a report by Reuters, the successor model will be the first vehicle to use a GM global platform capable of spawning 2.5m vehicles a year by 2018.
The current Cruze accounts for around half of some 260,000 vehicles produced annually at GM Korea's plant in Gunsan which also builds the Orlando minivan.
Reuters further notes that GM Korea head Sergio Rocha disclosed the decision to stop Cruze production to the company's South Korean union.
GM CEO Dan Akerson has previously said that one way to cut costs at Opel would be to move some production from Asia to Europe to improve plant efficiency.
The codename for the Cruze replacement is said to be D2SC. In August 2012, GM stated that the existing Lordstown Complex in Ohio would see an investment of $220m to build the Cruze replacement. As yet, there have been no corresponding announcements for other plants which build or assemble the current Cruze.
As the middle of the year gets closer, the the European automotive marketplace isn't getting any easier. By last year, Western Europe's car market had lost 3m units since its 2007 peak (a heady 14.8m...
Off over to Opel's tech centre at Dudenhofen (in the forest south east of Frankfurt) to see and try some of the new engines and gearboxes in the works....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
General Motors (GM) has reported a 14% fall in net profits during the first three months of 2013, as its European operations were hit by the region's economic crisis....
China Automotive Systems, Inc. has announced that its subsidiary, Jingzhou Henglong Automotive Parts Co., Ltd., has entered into a multi-year agreement to supply the SAIC-GM-Wuling (SGMW) joint ventur...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Renault EOLAB concept
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Bosch taking over EPS JV with ZF
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)