SOUTH KOREA: GM 'to switch Chevy production to Europe'
The Cruze is already built or assembled in South Korea, the US, Russia, China, Thailand, India and Australia. According to a report by Reuters, the successor model will be the first vehicle to use a GM global platform capable of spawning 2.5m vehicles a year by 2018.
The current Cruze accounts for around half of some 260,000 vehicles produced annually at GM Korea's plant in Gunsan which also builds the Orlando minivan.
Reuters further notes that GM Korea head Sergio Rocha disclosed the decision to stop Cruze production to the company's South Korean union.
GM CEO Dan Akerson has previously said that one way to cut costs at Opel would be to move some production from Asia to Europe to improve plant efficiency.
The codename for the Cruze replacement is said to be D2SC. In August 2012, GM stated that the existing Lordstown Complex in Ohio would see an investment of $220m to build the Cruze replacement. As yet, there have been no corresponding announcements for other plants which build or assemble the current Cruze.
This Case Study examines the factors that led to US auto giant GM's bankruptcy in 2009, describes its rescue plan, and assesses its effectiveness....
As the middle of the year gets closer, the the European automotive marketplace isn't getting any easier. By last year, Western Europe's car market had lost 3m units since its 2007 peak (a heady 14.8m...
Off over to Opel's tech centre at Dudenhofen (in the forest south east of Frankfurt) to see and try some of the new engines and gearboxes in the works....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
General Motors (GM) has reported a 14% fall in net profits during the first three months of 2013, as its European operations were hit by the region's economic crisis....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- PSA issues new business plan
- BEIJING DEBUTS: Volvo S60L PPHEV concept
- NYIAS DEBUTS: next Mazda MX-5 Miata preview
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018