UAE: GM Middle East sales rise 3% in December
General Motors Middle East (GMME) recorded its second best December sales in 2012 - up 3% year on year to 14,413 vehicles as the Chevrolet and Cadillac brands booked record month and full year volume.
December 2012 was GM's second highest sales month last year.
The Middle East tally was 137,955 vehicles during 2012, GM said without providing a 2011 comparison, boosted mainly by sales in Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. Full year sales in Saudi Arabia, the biggest market in the region, rose 16% while December sales jumped 9% to 7,167 vehicles.
In the United Arab Emirates, sales climbed 21% for the year and 34% to 1,429 vehicles in December, the largest year on year gain for the month among GCC countries. December was also the best sales month in the UAE since March 2009.
Chevrolet passenger car sales rose 10% in December to 6,730 vehicles while SUVs, crossovers and pick-ups climbed 8% to 3,888 units.
Cadillac sales in December increased 9% and full year volume was up 16% to 4,203 vehicles.
Sales of the SRX, the brand's best-seller in the Middle East, rose 41%, for a record annual tally.
"I expect more records to be broken in the Middle East this year with the launch of the [new ATS] late December and the start of sales of the [new XTS] in the first quarter of 2013," said John Stadwick, GMME president and managing director.
"December was a strong finish to 2012 and I am confident the sales pace will continue to improve this year as we strengthen the position of all our brands in the region with several new launches," he added.
Management reshuffle-the-deck at General Motors this week....
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
A spokesman for Dongfeng Motor has reportedly told a Chinese newspaper that the state-controlled firm has no comment to make over rumours of it buying into PSA Peugeot Citroën....
The labour union at GM Korea staged a partial strike for six hours on Thursday following failed talks with the management over wages and production plans....
Total light vehicle sales last month came in at just over 1.4m, 9.1% ahead of June 2012. That works out to a seasonally adjusted annualised rate (SAAR) of 15.96m, the highest since November 2007, the ...
Strong sales of commercial vehicles in two of New Zealand's largest cities boosted June volume to its highest level in 31 years, according to the head of the local new vehicle industry lobby group....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- BMW launches smartphone wireless charging
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020