SOUTH KOREA: GM Korea to outsource CKD, lay off 1,000
GM Korea wants to outsource production for CKD kit exports to subcontractors by 2014, endangering the jobs of at least 1,000 employees in Korea.
GM executive Tim Lee announced plans to outsource production of 'completely knocked-down' cars for export at GM Korea headquarters. CKD kits accounted for 62% or 1.28m units of GM Korea's total production of 2.08m last year.
According to the company, over 10,000 people work in production full-time, and 2,000 work on CKD production and packing. The kits are assembled in countries such as Russia, India and China.
GM Korea plans to lay off 1,000, or 10%, of the workforce through voluntary retirement or other redundancy measures. GM blames the high production cost in Korea.
Over the past several years, labour costs in other overseas plants of GM decreased but in Korea they rose, the automaker said.
The company's labour union has already voiced strong opposition and vowed to scupper the plan.
After being entertained for the last couple of weeks by Germany v France over Mercedes' choice of air conditioner refrigerant (colleague Simon Warburton has now learned so much about R134a v r1234yf h...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
Wang Xiaoqiu has been named president of Shanghai-GM, effective 13 August. He succeeds Ye Yongming, who has left the GM-SAIC joint venture....
Steve Keifer, head of powertrain systems at supplier Delphi for the last two years, is joining former parent company General Motors from September 1 to lead its global powertrain operations....
General Motors will start offering wireless charging for smartphones in some vehicles next year, according to a Bloomberg report citing remarks from Powermat Technologies....
GM is looking for at least 20% improvement to the electric-only range on its next generation Volt/Ampera models, according to reported remarks from CEO Dan Akerson....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- ZF UK axle factory marks 10 years of JLR supply
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report