CHINA: GM increases low-cost car capability
General Motors China has opened a second plant to build its low-cost Baojun brand models. The plant in the southern city of Liuzhou will have a 400,000 annual capacity and sell cars costing from CNY40,000 (US$6,400).
Analysts estimate that next year there will be more than 65m households in China with an annual income of more than CNY60,000, the level at which they have sufficient money to buy an entry-level car.
Nissan has already said that it plans to be selling 300,000 of its low-cost Venucia brand cars in China by 2015.
GM’s new plant, which it operates with partner SAIC GM Wuling Automobile, is also expected to build cars for the partners’ other low-cost brand Wuling.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
What are Opel's 3,000 odd workers at its Bochum plant in the heavily-industrialised region of North-Rhine Westphalia (NRW) thinking today?...
Opel's main union at its Bochum factory in Germany appears resigned to the fact the site will close at the end of next year and is citing an unconfirmed compensation figure of EUR100,000 (US$129,000) ...
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
The first production unit of the Q50, Nissan luxury car unit Infiniti's new premium sports sedan has been built at the Tochigi plant....
Opel has moved swiftly at its militant plant of Bochum in Germany, announcing the Zafira Tourer will be manufactured at Russelsheim from 2015....
After its best sales month to date in March and a 423.5% year on year increase in April, Nissan's Leaf EV has passed the 25,000 sales mark in the US....
- Q&A: Volvo XC90 chief engineer Håkan Ivarsson
- COMMENT: No wizards needed at US$100 a barrel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Minding the shop
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- ANALYSIS: Thailand targets EVs for future growth
- JLR in talks for Eastern Europe plant
- Magna Steyr to build vehicles for JLR
- SUVs continue driving US sales growth
- New Honda chief sets out vision
- Ford’s ‘significantly enhanced’ EcoSport on sale
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2029
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018