CHINA: GM increases low-cost car capability
General Motors China has opened a second plant to build its low-cost Baojun brand models. The plant in the southern city of Liuzhou will have a 400,000 annual capacity and sell cars costing from CNY40,000 (US$6,400).
Analysts estimate that next year there will be more than 65m households in China with an annual income of more than CNY60,000, the level at which they have sufficient money to buy an entry-level car.
Nissan has already said that it plans to be selling 300,000 of its low-cost Venucia brand cars in China by 2015.
GM’s new plant, which it operates with partner SAIC GM Wuling Automobile, is also expected to build cars for the partners’ other low-cost brand Wuling.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
What are Opel's 3,000 odd workers at its Bochum plant in the heavily-industrialised region of North-Rhine Westphalia (NRW) thinking today?...
Opel's main union at its Bochum factory in Germany appears resigned to the fact the site will close at the end of next year and is citing an unconfirmed compensation figure of EUR100,000 (US$129,000) ...
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
The first production unit of the Q50, Nissan luxury car unit Infiniti's new premium sports sedan has been built at the Tochigi plant....
Opel has moved swiftly at its militant plant of Bochum in Germany, announcing the Zafira Tourer will be manufactured at Russelsheim from 2015....
After its best sales month to date in March and a 423.5% year on year increase in April, Nissan's Leaf EV has passed the 25,000 sales mark in the US....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Citroën & Lamborghini concepts
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)