CHINA: GM increases low-cost car capability
General Motors China has opened a second plant to build its low-cost Baojun brand models. The plant in the southern city of Liuzhou will have a 400,000 annual capacity and sell cars costing from CNY40,000 (US$6,400).
Analysts estimate that next year there will be more than 65m households in China with an annual income of more than CNY60,000, the level at which they have sufficient money to buy an entry-level car.
Nissan has already said that it plans to be selling 300,000 of its low-cost Venucia brand cars in China by 2015.
GM’s new plant, which it operates with partner SAIC GM Wuling Automobile, is also expected to build cars for the partners’ other low-cost brand Wuling.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
This Case Study examines the factors that led to US auto giant GM's bankruptcy in 2009, describes its rescue plan, and assesses its effectiveness....
What are Opel's 3,000 odd workers at its Bochum plant in the heavily-industrialised region of North-Rhine Westphalia (NRW) thinking today?...
Opel's main union at its Bochum factory in Germany appears resigned to the fact the site will close at the end of next year and is citing an unconfirmed compensation figure of EUR100,000 (US$129,000) ...
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
The first production unit of the Q50, Nissan luxury car unit Infiniti's new premium sports sedan has been built at the Tochigi plant....
Opel has moved swiftly at its militant plant of Bochum in Germany, announcing the Zafira Tourer will be manufactured at Russelsheim from 2015....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- Q&A with Tenneco: Energy recovery technologies
- PSA issues new business plan
- BEIJING DEBUTS: Volvo S60L PPHEV concept
- NYIAS DEBUTS: next Mazda MX-5 Miata preview
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- The bubble car is back, fit for the 21st century
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028