CHINA: GM "extends sympathy" to explosion victims
GM China says it extends its "deepest sympathy" to the families of those killed and injured in this weekend's (2 August) dust explosion, which ripped through Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products' factory in the east of the country.
At least 75 people lost their lives, with some 185 injured according to reports, but GM China declined to comment on the numbers involved or the latest stage of the investigation being carried out by authorities.
"For the families of the victims and those injured in this terrible tragedy, we extend our deepest sympathy to them," a GM China spokeswoman told just-auto from Shanghai.
The spokeswoman also declined to confirm what parts were involved at the factory, but reports indicate it supplies alloy wheels to General Motors' joint venture and it appears enough stock is in place not to warrant immediate concerns.
"We have sufficient inventory of affected parts and we do not expect an impact on our production," said the GM China spokeswoman.
"We are working with our suppliers to establish alternative processing capability."
Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products - which polishes aluminium wheels for automakers including GM - is a component provider to the US automaker's global supplier Dicastal that claims to be one of the world's largest aluminium parts manufacturers.
Dicastal was not immediately available for comment, but a statement on its website and translated in basic form from Chinese to English, notes the "mood is very heavy" at the Kunshan plant and expresses condolences.
General Motors Company (GM) is an automobile manufacturing company. The company, along with its partners, designs, builds, and markets cars, trucks and spare parts around the world....
This new QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive wheels sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts...
General Motors Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service o...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- VW’s crisis and the changed world of corporate PR
- ANALYSIS: Mazda humiliates Toyota in Germany
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Range Rover Evoque Brazil build
- Q&A: Hella on tomorrow’s ADAS cameras and sensors
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Audi S8 & future models
- ADAS seeing ‘unprecedented growth'
- SWEDEN: Volvo S60 a victim of XC90's success
- Volkswagen board slashes investment EUR1bn a year
- VW withdraws most 2016 US diesels
- Ford announces $1.8bn China R&D spend
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030