CHINA: GM "extends sympathy" to explosion victims
GM China says it extends its "deepest sympathy" to the families of those killed and injured in this weekend's (2 August) dust explosion, which ripped through Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products' factory in the east of the country.
At least 75 people lost their lives, with some 185 injured according to reports, but GM China declined to comment on the numbers involved or the latest stage of the investigation being carried out by authorities.
"For the families of the victims and those injured in this terrible tragedy, we extend our deepest sympathy to them," a GM China spokeswoman told just-auto from Shanghai.
The spokeswoman also declined to confirm what parts were involved at the factory, but reports indicate it supplies alloy wheels to General Motors' joint venture and it appears enough stock is in place not to warrant immediate concerns.
"We have sufficient inventory of affected parts and we do not expect an impact on our production," said the GM China spokeswoman.
"We are working with our suppliers to establish alternative processing capability."
Kunshan Zhongrong Metal Products - which polishes aluminium wheels for automakers including GM - is a component provider to the US automaker's global supplier Dicastal that claims to be one of the world's largest aluminium parts manufacturers.
Dicastal was not immediately available for comment, but a statement on its website and translated in basic form from Chinese to English, notes the "mood is very heavy" at the Kunshan plant and expresses condolences.
General Motors Company (GM) is an automobile manufacturing company. The company, along with its partners, designs, builds, and markets cars, trucks and spare parts around the world. GM’s brands includ...
This new QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive wheels sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts...
A day after announcing it is to stop making GM-branded cars in Indonesia, General Motors said on Friday it would cease production of its Chevrolet Sonic in Thailand by the middle of this year....
General Motors Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service o...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Workers at General Motors Brazilian car factory have ended their strike after the carmaker dropped plans to furlough around 800 workers. The strike lasted for six days....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Suzuki's new brand flagship - Vitara
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- Geneva show list updated
- GENEVA DEBUTS: Audi Q7 e-tron to be a diesel PHEV
- Audi plots 2020 expansion strategy
- US: Cadillac's De Nysschen on future engine plans
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)