EXCLUSIVE: GM extending Chevrolet Impala lifecycle to nine years
The Impala has a standard 3.6-litre V6, which was new for the 2012 model year
A spokesperson for General Motors has confirmed to just-auto that the current Chevrolet Impala will remain in production even after the launch of the tenth generation model in 2013.
The spokesperson stated in an emailed reply, "...the extended build [until June 2014] of the current generation Impala will be available to our commercial, government and rental fleet customers".
GM Canada will continue to manufacture the ninth generation Impala (GMX 360) on the so-called 'Consolidated Line' at the Oshawa #2 plant. The new 2014 Impala (GMX 551), which uses the Epsilon 2 architecture, will be built on the 'Flexible Line' at Oshawa #1 and also at Detroit-Hamtramck in Michigan on the same line as the Chevrolet Volt and Malibu sedans.
The ninth generation model was launched at the Los Angeles show in January 2005 but this car was a rebodying of the eighth generation model which first saw showrooms back in 1999. Its W-body/MS2000 architecture is older still. This dates back to 1996 and the launch of the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix.
Author: Glenn Brooks
Despite newspaper reports in Germany, General Motors said it has made no decision about assembling the Chevrolet Cruze at its plant in Poland from the end of next year....
Opel will start assembling Corsas in Belarus in 2014 but the actual build work should be simple as the cars will come from Spain and Germany only as semi knocked down (SKD) kits....
It's a brand that was killed around four years ago but regulators in the US are looking at forcing General Motors to recall about 500,000 Pontiac G6 sedans because of several issues, including malfunc...
Spyker's US$3bn (GBP1.9bn) lawsuit accusing General Motors of trying to bankrupt Saab has been dismissed by a US federal court judge who said GM had the right to block the sale of a company using its ...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- COMMENT: Volkswagen's Piech got a lot right
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- ANALYSIS: VW & Toyota losing the SUV race in China
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- Piech ploy over Winterkorn fail, VW chairman quits
- And now (drum roll), the Suzuki Boosterjet engine
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029