US: GM expects profitability to rise 'modestly' in 2013
GM has said it expects its global profitability to rise modestly in 2013 on an earnings before interest and tax (EBIT) adjusted basis, with improvements anticipated from each world region.
The company also said it forecasts modest global industry growth in 2013 driven by the United States and China, while Europe is expected to experience further contraction.
The outlook was shared with investment analysts attending the Deutsche Bank 2013 Global Auto Industry Conference in Detroit.
"Our portfolio of new, world-class vehicles puts us on a strong footing to grow profitably," said Dan Ammann, GM senior vice president and chief financial officer. "We're launching more vehicles globally than at any time in our history and some of our most important models are targeting the two largest markets in the world - the US and China."
GM said its product renaissance, which started in 2012, will see 70% of its portfolio completely refreshed by the end of 2013. In 2011, GM and its joint venture partners in China began the rollout of more than 60 new or upgraded models that will hit the market there through 2015.
GM said that some of the key vehicles launching around the world include the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickups, Chevrolet Impala and Corvette Stingray, and Cadillac CTS in North America; the Opel Adam, Cascada and Mokka, and Chevrolet Trax in Europe; the Chevrolet Onix and Spin in South America; and the Cadillac XTS and Chevrolet Sail in China.
Ammann noted that 2012 was a year in which the company improved its competitiveness, positioning it for sustained, positive growth.
- GM South America results - returned region to profitability
- GM Europe action - outlined plan to break even by mid-decade
- Pension risk lowered - reduced by US$29bn
- Financial flexibility increased - obtained an investment grade $11bn revolver
- Continued strong liquidity - total liquidity of $37.5bn (Q3, 2012)
- Capital expenditures increased - total of approximately $8bn for 2012
- Ownership by US Treasury - overhang addressed and capital returned
- GM Financial expanded - acquisition of Ally international operations to help close financing gap with coverage in 80% of markets where GM competes
"We've developed a fortress balance sheet, our brands are getting stronger, and we've been disciplined in running our business," Ammann said. "We're now positioned to take a 'straight-line' investment approach to vehicle development so that we can sustain profitability throughout the business cycle."
After it looked a bit like just-auto had become part of the global Toyota PR machine last week, this week, for a day or two at least, you could have been forgiven for thinking we had now 'crossed over...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
Management reshuffle-the-deck at General Motors this week....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
General Motors Europe's Opel division has announced an additional spend of EUR60m (US$77m) at its Szentgotthárd plant in western Hungary to boost output by 70,000 engines per year to 670,000 and creat...
Renault Samsung Motors, which saw first half global sales plunge 29.3% to 58,705 units and domestic sales tumble 14.2% to make it the nation's smallest car maker behind SsangYong, has agreed a new pay...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Peugeot Quartz concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)