POLAND: GM Europe drives towards mobile connectivity
Drivers in Europe will become better connected on the move within the next two to three years as technology already introduced in the US moves across the Atlantic.
Steve Girsky, president of GM Europe, said, from next year, all of General Motors' new models in the US will be 4G connected via the company's OnStar telematics and communications system.
OnStar has been around for some years and allows drivers to communicate with emergency services and relay problems to GM's dealers. This is now becoming more advanced in terms of connectivity.
Girsky said: "This technology will come to Europe because it is what people are demanding. The way people view cars is starting to change - 16-year old kids in the US are not going into the dealers all starry-eyed anymore. They want more from their mobility, most importantly connectivity."
The car will be less about transport and aspiration and more about staying connected, he added. "Young people are car sharing, renting or hiring cars rather than buying; they want different vehicles depending on what they are doing. GM is moving with the times."
Alliance partners Renault and Nissan both made the news this week. The two news items were rather different, but there was a curious common denominator of sorts: step forward Carlos Ghosn, boss of bot...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive connectivity sector, major applications, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
A short statement issued by Renault Group has just announced the immediate departure of chief operating officer Carlos Tavares....
FAW Group has reportedly signed a Memorandum of Understanding to construct a vehicle plant in Rason, a port city in North Korea's far north east, close to the Chinese and Russian borders....
New vehicle sales in the US are continuing to run at a strong level in August according to a monthly sales forecast developed jointly by JD Power and LMC Automotive....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart fortwo cabrio
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030