SOUTH KOREA: GM confirms to models for domestic plants
General Motors has dispelled concerns that it will shift Chevrolet production out of South Korea although it has delayed the launch of the revamped Aveo small car, according to labour unions.
GM has also advised the union it will produce the Aveo and the Spark mini car, due for launch in the first half of 2015, in Korea. Union officials told Reuters GM Korea's management briefed negotiators on its plans during annual wage talks that ended last week.
A GM Korea spokesman declined to comment, saying the company did not disclose future product plans.
South Korea manufactures and exports the Spark and Aveo (Sonic) cars to the US, Europe and other countries, and makes knock-down kits for assembly in Uzbekistan.
The Spark, introduced in 2009, is manufactured at GM Korea's plant in the southeastern city of Changwon, and the Aveo, which was rolled out in 2011, is made at its headquarters in Bupyeong, outside of Seoul.
GM Korea said it sold 215,177 Sparks at home and abroad last year and the exports accounted for nearly 70% of sales.
GM Korea, which was created after the automaker bought Daewoo Motor in 2002, has been GM's major Asian manufacturing base and engineering-design hub for its mini and small cars. But concerns are growing that the American company may reduce its presence in the country after it said it would not produce the next-generation Cruze compact there. The current Cruze is also built in the US and Australia.
Reuters added GM has postponed the launch of the next-generation Cruze by a year due to engineering changes and a desire to squeeze more sales from the small car before it is redesigned.
Citing company souces, the news agency added that the next version of the Cruze, which had originally been scheduled to debut late in 2014, will now begin production in December 2015.
Colombia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive in...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive connectivity sector, major applications, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global material trends sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- LA DEBUTS: BMW X5 M & BMW X6 M
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report