US: GM axes Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne
You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucerne
The elderly Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne twins are about to reach the end of the line. As part of the imminent closure and refit for the Detroit-Hamtramck plant in Michigan, General Motors will also pension off the two G-body sedans that have been built there for some years.
The DTS was launched in 2005 and was a restyled and renamed Cadillac DeVille, while the Buick Lucerne was derived from the former LeSabre.
The effective replacement for the DTS will be the XTS, which is due to be launched in North America in early 2012. This car, which will use the Epsilon 2 architecture, will also serve as the eventual successor to the Cadillac STS. Oshawa 1 in Ontario will build the XTS, while a long wheelbase variant is expected to be made in and exclusively for China by Shanghai GM at its Pudong plant.
Buick division already offers two large sedan in North America, the Regal and LaCrosse (Allure in Canada), so no direct replacement for the Lucerne is needed.
Author: Glenn Brooks
An updated list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the Paris motor show's 27 & 28 September press preview days....
GM South Africa's Struandale plant in Port Elizabeth has built 200,000 Opel Corsa-based Chevrolet utilities....
After telling its members to prepare for strike action ahead of the expiration of its contract agreements with the Detroit Three, the pace of negotiations has picked up amid talk of concessions from t...
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- Q&A with Ricardo on future powertrain technology
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- Briefing: Tomorrow's steering systems
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- JLR clarifies ASEAN expansion goals
- Negative pricing pressure in China - Ford
- Chery spearheads China’s auto export drive
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030