BRAZIL: GM adding third shift at Gravatai
General Motors said on Sunday it would add a third shift at its Gravataí Industrial Complex, creating 1,450 new jobs at the assembly plant and another 1,000 at supplier plants located at the facility in the south of Brazil. Another 180 jobs will be created in the new powertrain plant in Joinville.
Gravatai builds the Chevrolet Celta and Onix small cars.
“The market success of the all-new Chevrolet Onix, launched last year in October, and the start of production of another new small sedan, to be launched in late February, led us to take the decision,” said GM South America president Jaime Ardila. “We launched nine new Chevrolet models in the last 15 months in Brazil and are poised for growth.”
In 2009, GM announced a US$3bn investment in Brazil. The plan was consolidated last year to develop and launch new Chevrolet products and update and add capacity to its plants.
As part of the plan, GM spent $1bn on the Onix project to develop the new small car family and to expand capacity from 230,000 to 380,000 vehicles per year at Gravataí.
An additional $172 million was spend to build a new engine and cylinder head plant at Joinville in the state of Santa Catarina. Production recently began there.
GM announced the move just after it averted a strike at another Brazilian complex.
Quarterly results season is with is again with some passable numbers from the biggies already in and more to come. As usual, we have grouped the coverage together in one handy spot....
The Toyota group sold 4.91m units in the first half of 2013, making it the world's top car seller in the period for the second straight year....
General Motors has announced second quarter net income of US$1.2bn, or $0.75 per share. Special items reduced net income by $0.2bn, or $0.09 per share, the automaker noted. This was a $240m "loss on e...
In one of the biggest automotive recalls in India, US car major General Motors on Wednesday red flagged 114,000 units of its Chevrolet Tavera utility vehicle produced since 2005 for a faulty emissions...
After two decades of domination, Japanese and European models have lost the number one sedan spot in the US to one of the most iconic of American automotive names....
General Motors (GM) India will restart production of Chevrolet Sail diesel models by the end of July. The company temporarily suspended production in June due to quality issues. The automaker will als...
Detroit's bankruptcy filing is linked with problems that sent General Motors and Chrysler into their own bankruptcy reorganisations, GM CEO Dan Akerson has said....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- Baking Kias at 45C
- COMMENT: Ford F-Series production soars
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: BMW plug-in 2AT added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market