CHINA: General Motors and SAIC JVs beats 2011 sales in 11 months
General Motors and its Chinese partners passed last year’s sales of 2.54m vehicles in the first 11 months of 2012.
Record November sales of 260,018 took volume for the first 11 months of the year to 2.59m. The November performance was 9.7% up year on year and the second highest for any month, the company said in a statement.
During the first 11 months of 2012, sales by GM and its joint ventures increased 10.4%. Shanghai GM’s domestic sales grew 8.7% to 1,220,887 units. SAIC-GM-Wuling’s domestic sales grew 12.5% to 1,318,473 units. FAW-GM’s domestic sales decreased 1.0% to 50,345 units.
In November, Shanghai GM sold an all-time monthly record 136,444 vehicles, up 20.6%. SAIC-GM-Wuling’s domestic sales were down 0.5% to 118,536 units. FAW-GM’s sales rose 4.2% to 4,837 units.
Buick was Shanghai GM’s best selling brand for the month, up 17.4% to a November record 70,172 units. Demand for the original Excelle family totaled 23,381 units, followed by the Excelle XT and GT, which sold 17,716 units – an increase of 16.1% and the models’ second-highest sales for any month. Setting a new monthly record was the Regal, which sold 9,204 units – an increase of 12.4%. The Encore SUV got off to a strong start, with 6,025 units delivered in its first month on sale.
Chevrolet set a November sales record with demand up 15.3% to 63,012 units. It continued to be driven by the Sail family which saw sales of 22,394 units, a 10.6% increase, and the Cruze, sales of which rose 1.6% to 22,216 units. Redesigned Malibu sales totalled 7,697 units in its first month.
Cadillac set a monthly sales record of 3,260 units, an increase of 8.4%. The SRX was November’s best-seller at 2,082 units; the SLS had record monthly sales of 1,029 units.
Wuling sales dropped 0.5% to 108,304 units. Its best-seller was the Sunshine - 40,420 units.
New Chinese entry level brand Baojun’s November sales jumped 70% to 10,232 units, the second-highest monthly total. Its most popular model was the 630 with sales of 6,429 units – up 6.85%.
General Motors' decision not to build the next generation Aveo in South Korea - at least to start - looks like provoking a confrontation with the country's militant auto trade unions....
General Motors has won praise from a senior US politician in Brussels as US Treasury officials say they will sell 30m of the automaker's shares worth around US$1.03bn....
General Motors and its joint ventures sold "a May record" 252,942 vehicles in China, the automaker said. Volume rose 9.4% year on year....
Toyota was the top selling brand in Australia in May 2013 and also had the top two selling models: Hilux and Corolla....
The US Treasury said it would begin another round of sales of General Motors shares acquired during the government's bailout of the US auto sector....
New Zealand passenger car registrations of 6,347 vehicles in May were the best for that month since 1990, according to the local Motor Industry Association....
In a classic case of April showers and May flowers, last month's US light vehicle sales bloomed quite nicely following the previous month's dip....
Hino Motors and Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus are increasing their efforts to boost operations in eastern and central Africa to meet increased demand increase stemming from economic growth in the regi...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Škoda Octavia estate 4x4
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Active safety in the spotlight
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche 911 Targa 4
- Bear Grylls, brand ambassador for Land Rover
- Lada production to be cut as sales stall
- India regulator doles out fines on parts prices
- CHENGDU DEBUTS: Cowin C3 R, Infiniti ESQ & Kia K4
- China regulators targeting German suppliers claim
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times