US: GE to purchase 2,000 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids
GE will purchase 2,000 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids for its fleet while Ford will jointly market GE's alternative fuel infrastructure.
GE said the purchase was another step in its plan to convert half of its global fleet to alternative fuel vehicles. This brings the number of alternative fuel vehicles in the fleet to over 5,000 of the goal of 25,000 vehicles.
The two companies will also work with researchers from Georgia Institute of Technology to study GE employee driving and charging habits with the goal of improving all-electric driving and charging performance. Researchers will use the MyFord Mobile app with real-time battery charge status and value charging that automatically recharges at lower-cost, off-peak electricity rates.
Study findings will be shared with commercial customers to provide insights and help facilitate deployment of electric vehicles in their own fleets amid a growing electric vehicle infrastructure that now includes more than 10,000 public charging stations across the country.
Ford will promote GE's WattStation charging station and CNG in a Box natural gas fuelling station to its commercial customers.
Ford also will supply new alternative fuel vehicles for use at GE's Vehicle Innovation Centre at the headquarters of the fleet management business in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. The vehicle innovation centre gives GE's commercial customers the opportunity to learn about and test-drive alternative fuel cars and trucks from a variety of manufacturers in a single location with assistance from fleet, transportation, energy and advanced technology experts.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
Although the Chinese car market is expected to see growth of around 10% this year, prospects for premium brands have deteriorated as a result of the Chinese government's anti-corruption campaign, acco...
Ford has strongly rebuffed questioning from the European Commission (EC) as to whether Spanish plans to grant state aid for its Valencia project are against regulations....
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
Ford will free up much needed production capacity in North America by moving Fiesta production from Mexico to Thailand in 2016, according to a US newspaper....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Škoda Octavia estate 4x4
- ANALYSIS: GM gets serious about Cadillac
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Active safety in the spotlight
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche 911 Targa 4
- Bear Grylls, brand ambassador for Land Rover
- Lada production to be cut as sales stall
- India regulator doles out fines on parts prices
- CHENGDU DEBUTS: Cowin C3 R, Infiniti ESQ & Kia K4
- China regulators targeting German suppliers claim
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times