US: GE to purchase 2,000 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids
GE will purchase 2,000 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrids for its fleet while Ford will jointly market GE's alternative fuel infrastructure.
GE said the purchase was another step in its plan to convert half of its global fleet to alternative fuel vehicles. This brings the number of alternative fuel vehicles in the fleet to over 5,000 of the goal of 25,000 vehicles.
The two companies will also work with researchers from Georgia Institute of Technology to study GE employee driving and charging habits with the goal of improving all-electric driving and charging performance. Researchers will use the MyFord Mobile app with real-time battery charge status and value charging that automatically recharges at lower-cost, off-peak electricity rates.
Study findings will be shared with commercial customers to provide insights and help facilitate deployment of electric vehicles in their own fleets amid a growing electric vehicle infrastructure that now includes more than 10,000 public charging stations across the country.
Ford will promote GE's WattStation charging station and CNG in a Box natural gas fuelling station to its commercial customers.
Ford also will supply new alternative fuel vehicles for use at GE's Vehicle Innovation Centre at the headquarters of the fleet management business in Eden Prairie, Minnesota. The vehicle innovation centre gives GE's commercial customers the opportunity to learn about and test-drive alternative fuel cars and trucks from a variety of manufacturers in a single location with assistance from fleet, transportation, energy and advanced technology experts.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
Although the Chinese car market is expected to see growth of around 10% this year, prospects for premium brands have deteriorated as a result of the Chinese government's anti-corruption campaign, acco...
Ford has strongly rebuffed questioning from the European Commission (EC) as to whether Spanish plans to grant state aid for its Valencia project are against regulations....
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
Ford will free up much needed production capacity in North America by moving Fiesta production from Mexico to Thailand in 2016, according to a US newspaper....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)