RUSSIA: GAZ accelerates pace as Chevrolet production starts
Speaking at the production start yesterday (5 February) at the Nizhny Novgorod plant 255 miles east of Moscow, GAZ president and CEO, Bo Andersson, highlighted the importance of the model to the company's Russian fortunes.
"Why is this important for GAZ?" said Andersson. "It is very [clear] for me we were far behind in passenger cars. As a consumer in Russia, you can pick 550 models. During the co-operation with GM and Volkswagen, we moved the needle 20 years by building the Chevrolet Aveo and three vehicles for VW.
"The challenge is GM has other plants building the same vehicle and that means it is very easy for them to measure us in the quality of assembly. We measure it every day."
GAZ's foray into passenger vehicles means it will employ 700 new staff for the Aveo, while thousands more will work on VW products and for Daimler.
"This is a relatively small operation," said Andersson. "We had this building and it required relatively little innovation. This is low technology with the benefits of flexibility."
Yesterday's launch will see GAZ aim for annual production of 30,000 vehicles to be sold on the Russian market, although the automaker is not excluding future expansion to CIS markets and potentially, Europe.
General Motors and GAZ Group signed an agreement in February 2011 to produce the Aveo at GAZ for sale in the Russian market, with both companies investing US$29m to prepare the existing GAZ passenger car production facility for the project.
The Aveo is being assembled on two shifts, with a hatchback version being added to the GAZ production line at the end of next year. Planned annual output of both versions is 30,000 cars.
Aveo production in Nizhny Novgorod is final assembly from CKD (completely knocked down) kits. GAZ is carrying out welding, painting and assembly. It is using 43 welding robots and 33 welding jigs developed at GM Korea.
The row over air conditioning refrigerant between the French government and Daimler's Mercedes-Benz Cars has kept one of our number rather busy this week....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
Quarterly results season is with is again with some passable numbers from the biggies already in and more to come. As usual, we have grouped the coverage together in one handy spot....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
The analysts in this report forecast the Medium and Heavy Truck market in BRIC to grow at a CAGR of 11.05 percent over the period 2011-2015. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth i...
General Motors has hired former Volvo CEO Stefan Jacoby to head up international operations. He replaces Tim Lee, who will take up the position of chairman, GM China....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Citroën & Lamborghini concepts
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)