SWEDEN: Former Volvo boss hits out at sacking
Jacoby (right) in happier, pre-Volvo times as head of Volkswagen in the US. He was launching the redesigned Jetta with singer Katy Perry in this July 2010 file photo
Stefan Jacoby, the former CEO of Volvo Cars, has admitted to feeling cheated by his old company after he was fired last year while recovering from a stroke.
Jacoby told Dagens Industri newspaper he had no warning he would be sacked by the Swedish company.
“I was shocked,” he said.
“After everything I did over two years, it felt like I’d been tossed out like rubbish. It was really, really tough. There was surely a more elegant way to handle it.”
The former CEO suffered a stroke at home mid-September although he later claimed it was only minor. In October, Håkan Samuelsson, former chairman of German truck maker MAN, was named the new Volvo Cars CEO.
Jacoby told the newspaper it felt “very strange” to be informed of his redundancy when he was in the middle of a sickness.
“I was kicked out right in the middle of the game. And to this day I’ve still not had any explanation of why it happened.”
Despite losing his job, Jacoby admitted that it opened a new door in his life.
“I really loved my job, maybe too much. It was a shock, but on the other hand, it gave me a chance to do something new.”
Despite strong developing competition, Volvo continues to lead in the car safety technologies. Continued work on the improvement of quality and reliability, and above all the safety of users makes the...
Truck Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016)...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
Sales at Geely's Volvo Car Group fell 2.6% year on year in June to 40,939 units with year to date volume off 5.5% to 209,118....
Total light vehicle sales last month came in at just over 1.4m, 9.1% ahead of June 2012. That works out to a seasonally adjusted annualised rate (SAAR) of 15.96m, the highest since November 2007, the ...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028