SWEDEN: Former Volvo boss hits out at sacking
Jacoby (right) in happier, pre-Volvo times as head of Volkswagen in the US. He was launching the redesigned Jetta with singer Katy Perry in this July 2010 file photo
Stefan Jacoby, the former CEO of Volvo Cars, has admitted to feeling cheated by his old company after he was fired last year while recovering from a stroke.
Jacoby told Dagens Industri newspaper he had no warning he would be sacked by the Swedish company.
“I was shocked,” he said.
“After everything I did over two years, it felt like I’d been tossed out like rubbish. It was really, really tough. There was surely a more elegant way to handle it.”
The former CEO suffered a stroke at home mid-September although he later claimed it was only minor. In October, Håkan Samuelsson, former chairman of German truck maker MAN, was named the new Volvo Cars CEO.
Jacoby told the newspaper it felt “very strange” to be informed of his redundancy when he was in the middle of a sickness.
“I was kicked out right in the middle of the game. And to this day I’ve still not had any explanation of why it happened.”
Despite losing his job, Jacoby admitted that it opened a new door in his life.
“I really loved my job, maybe too much. It was a shock, but on the other hand, it gave me a chance to do something new.”
Despite strong developing competition, Volvo continues to lead in the car safety technologies. Continued work on the improvement of quality and reliability, and above all the safety of users makes the...
Truck Manufacturing in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016)...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
Sales at Geely's Volvo Car Group fell 2.6% year on year in June to 40,939 units with year to date volume off 5.5% to 209,118....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Automotive Powertrain in Thousand Units by the following product segments: Gasoline Powertrain, Diesel Powertrain, and Other Automotive Powertrains (LPG/...
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- COMMENT: Russian auto jitters in Crimea poker
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- Jaguar recruits Beckham as China brand ambassador
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- Tata mulls platform collaboration with Chery
- Geely to axe domestic brands
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028