BELGIUM: Former GM Antwerp staff to be among 30,000 mass rally in Genk
At least 30,000 demonstrators - including bus-loads from those formerly made redundant at General Motors' Opel plant at Antwerp - are expected at this Sunday's (11 November) huge demonstration in Genk.
Ford has announced plans to shut the Genk plant with the loss of 4,300 jobs, but Belgian unions are estimating this could rise to a total of 10,000 when the supply chain is taken into account.
Separately, the FGTB-ABVV union says it is disappointed at this week's European Works Council meeting in Cologne to discuss Genk, that appears to have been disrupted by protesters attempting to gain access to the site.
"A lot of time was lost to talk to the European management," FGTB-ABVV union cabinet staff member, Rudi Kennes told just-auto from Belgium. "We were pretty occupied by negotiating with the police...so the meeting was a little bit disjointed. Because of that it was a short meeting.
"We are fully occupied by organising the demonstration on Sunday so I don't think any new initiatives [will happen]."
Kennes added there would be around "four or five buses" from Antwerp, including one or two filled with former Opel workers for Sunday's mass rally.
"[They] want to express their solidarity," said Kennes.
As the middle of the year gets closer, the the European automotive marketplace isn't getting any easier. By last year, Western Europe's car market had lost 3m units since its 2007 peak (a heady 14.8m...
Off over to Opel's tech centre at Dudenhofen (in the forest south east of Frankfurt) to see and try some of the new engines and gearboxes in the works....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029