US: Ford uses kenaf plant inside Escape doors
Ford is using kenaf, a tropical plant related to cotton and okra plants, to replace oil-based materials in the doors of the new Ford Escape.
The company claims that use of this eco-friendly material is anticipated to offset 300,000 pounds of oil-based resin annually in North America and that kenaf reduces the weight of the door bolsters by 25 percent.
Kenaf is a tropical plant that Ford describes as looking similar to bamboo and is related to cotton.
"Kenaf and the other renewable materials in the Escape have made the vehicle more environmentally friendly and fuel efficient," said Laura Sinclair, materials engineer for the Escape.
Kenaf oil is used in cosmetics and kenaf fibre is used as an alternative to wood in the production of paper. The upper leaves and shoots of the plant are edible.
The kenaf is combined with polypropylene in a 50-50 mixture inside the door of the Escape. International Automotive Components (IAC) manufactures the door bolsters in Greencastle, Ind.
Ford says that the new Escape, which will be available this spring, features several eco-friendly components in addition to the kenaf inside the doors.
Materials that are recycled, renewable, and that reduce impact on the environment include soy foam in the seats and head restraints; plastic bottles and other post-consumer and post-industrial materials in the carpeting; climate control gaskets made from recycled tyres; and more than 10 pounds of scrap cotton from the making of denim jeans.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global material trends sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
New to just-auto this quarter, this report has been extracted from QUBE and provides a comprehensive overview of the vehicle lightweighting megatrend, the technologies, materials and suppliers involve...
An updated list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the Paris motor show's 27 & 28 September press preview days....
Maruti Suzuki on Thursday suspended production at its Manesar plant near New Delhi after rioting workers attacked managers late on Wednesday, leaving one senior executive dead and scores injured....
Contract talks between Ford and the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) union will try to close a US$15 an hour labour cost gap compared with what the company pays its US workers, a senior company official ha...
Ford India said it had completed expansion of its engine plant, increasing annual engine production capacity 36% to 340,000, making the factory a regional small engine hub....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- COMMENT: Ford F-Series production soars
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- Baking Kias at 45C
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Audi SQ5 TDI plus added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Jaguar Land Rover scraps Saudi plant plan
- Nissan allocates redesigned Juke to Sunderland
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market