US: Ford updating software to quell EcoBoost fire risk
Ford will make software updates to the cooling system of the 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine in Norther American SE and SEL versions of the 2013 Escape and Fusion for which it recently announced a recall - for which no immediate fix was available.
The software updates will better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition that could occur under unique operating conditions. The original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions, which could lead to a vehicle fire while the engine was running, the automaker said in a statement.
From early next week (starting Monday 17 December), owners will be able to get the software update at their dealer. The time needed for the repair is under hald half a day.
But owners are still advised not to drive their cars and to contact a dealer to arrange alternative transport at no cost.
Some drivers who have experienced high engine temperatures followed by engine fires have said that their clusters have shown the message "engine power reduced to lower temps" or "engine over temp, stop safely." Some also indicated that their instrument clusters sounded a chime and illuminated a red light.
Ford continues to advise drivers who see any of these indications to pull off the road as soon as possible, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle.
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
This report is based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. The report covers the Americas and the APAC and EMEA regions; it also covers the Global Advanced Driver Assistanc...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global OE automotive electrical wiring (EDS) sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts....
UK new car registrations grew 11% to 180,111 units in May....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle engine cooling sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use t...
Toyota was the top selling brand in Australia in May 2013 and also had the top two selling models: Hilux and Corolla....
New Zealand passenger car registrations of 6,347 vehicles in May were the best for that month since 1990, according to the local Motor Industry Association....
In a classic case of April showers and May flowers, last month's US light vehicle sales bloomed quite nicely following the previous month's dip....
- Kia K900 knocks on big brands' door
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2015MY Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
- Daimler - Q2 results insight
- Global light vehicle market developments
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Results season again
- Jaguar Land Rover buys British classic cars hoard
- New alloy developed for new Jag
- JLR China cuts prices amid anti-trust probe
- Tata Motors to assemble in Venezuela
- Union puzzled no buyer for Unipart Automotive
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029