US: Ford updating software to quell EcoBoost fire risk
Ford will make software updates to the cooling system of the 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine in Norther American SE and SEL versions of the 2013 Escape and Fusion for which it recently announced a recall - for which no immediate fix was available.
The software updates will better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition that could occur under unique operating conditions. The original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions, which could lead to a vehicle fire while the engine was running, the automaker said in a statement.
From early next week (starting Monday 17 December), owners will be able to get the software update at their dealer. The time needed for the repair is under hald half a day.
But owners are still advised not to drive their cars and to contact a dealer to arrange alternative transport at no cost.
Some drivers who have experienced high engine temperatures followed by engine fires have said that their clusters have shown the message "engine power reduced to lower temps" or "engine over temp, stop safely." Some also indicated that their instrument clusters sounded a chime and illuminated a red light.
Ford continues to advise drivers who see any of these indications to pull off the road as soon as possible, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle.
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global OE automotive electrical wiring (EDS) sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts....
UK new car registrations grew 11% to 180,111 units in May....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle engine cooling sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use t...
Toyota was the top selling brand in Australia in May 2013 and also had the top two selling models: Hilux and Corolla....
New Zealand passenger car registrations of 6,347 vehicles in May were the best for that month since 1990, according to the local Motor Industry Association....
In a classic case of April showers and May flowers, last month's US light vehicle sales bloomed quite nicely following the previous month's dip....
New car sales in Canada in May hit 185,000, close to the all-time high of 185,470 set in 2007. Forecasts for full year sales have been revised upwards to 1.76m....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Ford announces new engine investment for Dagenham
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)