LA PREVIEW: Ford to unveil Transit Connect-based minivan
'People mover' Transit Connect will be US variation of Europe's Tourneo Connect
Ford will showcase a seven-passenger vehicle aimed at young families at the Los Angeles Show later this month.
The people-mover will feature sliding doors and will be based on the European Transit Connect commercial van. A five-seat Tourneo Connect version was shown to journalists at a Ford product event in Amsterdam last September. European buyers are already offered eight- and nine-seat Tourneo Custom models based on the larger, mid-size Transit Custom.
It added that its design - with a high roof and squared-off rear - will not trigger the ‘soccer mom stigma’ among under-30s who are beginning to start families.
Ford's head of global engineering Hau Thai-Tang said: “Many of them grew up in the back of a minivan. Historically, different cohort groups tend to reject what they're familiar with. We think that's another reason a product like this would be appealing to them."
Ford has been selling the Turkish-built Transit Connect in the US since 2009 as a commercial vehicle with about 35,000 in sales a year. The people-mover version will go on sale by the end of next year and be built in Valencia, Spain.
Minivan sales in the US peaked in 2000 at just over 1.3m and have since halved. Ford stopped production of its Freestar minivan in 2007, turning its focus to crossovers such as the Flex and the Edge and SUVs like the Escape and the Explorer.
Analysts say that minivan sales slowed due to a social view that it signals the driver has lost his or her individuality after becoming a parent, such distaste is acute among the younger generation known as the Millenials.
Ongoing sovereign debt crises across Europe are continuing to have a major impact on the Continent's automaking development, with 2007 production levels not expected to return until 2017, says analyst...
New vehicle sales in Vietnam jumped by 34% to 8,001 units in April, from a depressed 5,972 units in the same month of last year, according to data released by the Vietnam Automotive Manufacturers Asso...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays