USA: Ford to redevelop historic Packard site
Ford Land announced today its plans for redevelopment of a 337-acre parcel in Shelby Township, providing the community with a productive re-use of the former Packard proving grounds.
The proposed mixed-use project will include residential, office, commercial and industrial uses.
In an effort to preserve the historic nature of the site, the plan calls for the donation of seven acres to the Packard Motor Car Foundation (with an option for the foundation to purchase an additional seven acres).
This 14-acre parcel includes an Albert Kahn-designed gateway and lodge, a portion of the former test track, the timing tower and a former Lindbergh airplane hangar.
Ford Land worked closely with the State Preservation Office and the historic preservation group in Shelby Township to make the donation possible. The Packard Motor Car Foundation intends to restore these historic buildings and integrate the site into the Automobile National Heritage Area.
The 337-acre parcel is located off Van Dyke between 22 and 23 Mile Roads and was formerly the site of a two and half-mile oval Packard Motor Company test track which opened in 1928. The site was sold to Ford Motor Company for a trim factory in 1962.