Ford is discussing launching a new low-cost brand for the Chinese domestic car market, David Schoch, chairman and CEO of Ford China confirmed in an interview.
Since GM launched the Baojun (treasured horse) brand in the country in 2010, most major foreign automakers operating in the country have followed suit – in part under pressure from the Chinese government.
GM’s Baojun brand was followed shortly after by Nissan's Qi Chen brand and Honda with Li Nian, aimed mostly at driving sales of small cars priced at up to USD10,000. Volkswagen, which is currently restructuring its management in China, has also revealed plans for a low cost car brand.
Speaking to Reuters, Schoch acknowledged that Ford “is studying indigenous brands” with its Chinese partners Chongqing Changan Automobile and Mazda although he suggested Ford would remain its mainstream brand for the market.
The arrival of new, good quality, low cost cars in China will help drive sales growth in the coming years. In the past, the cheaper Chinese domestic brands have used older generation technology no longer used by foreign brands to develop their product ranges.
Intriguing observation from the Los Angeles motor show this week. No one from British HQ on the Aston Martin stand, which was run instead by the local dealer, so perhaps they were all back in Blighty ...
The new head of Ford in India, Jogindar Singh, is expecting a significant jump in the company's 3% market share as it rolls out eight new models by mid-decade....
Ford Genk's largest union has delivered a notice to the US automaker in an attempt to drive the automaker back to the negotiating table concering the plannned closure of the Belgian plant....
Output in October by Japanese carmakers fell 48.9% year on year to 150,386 units as they suffered the fallout from the disputed Senkaku/Diaoyu islands in the East China Sea....
Ford reckons November will be its best hybrid sales month ever with over 6,000 units sold....
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
Mazda's CX-5 compact crossover has claimed the 2012-13 Car of the Year Japan (JCOTY) title. The award, first given in 1980, is decided by a panel of 60 automotive journalists. Last year's winner was t...
ZF Friedrichshafen says its interest in General Motors' Strasbourg transmission plant in Eastern France, is fuelled by a need to significantly ramp up capacity....
- Volkswagen counts the cost of 'dieselgate'
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- TowerSec VP on automotive cyber security - Q&A
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Ford says new Fusion hybrid has 610 miles of range
- just-auto takes a break
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market - forecasts to 2030