CHINA: Ford-Mazda JV to expand engine production
The move follows a surge in sales of Ford cars, particularly the Focus.
The three companies will increase their investment in the engine plant in Chongqing city which produces engines for the Ford J53 and J36 models.
Ford's China car sales have risen in recent months as consumers spurn Japanese brands because of a lingering territorial row between China and Japan. The dispute has also benefitted other foreign automakers including General Motors, BMW and Hyundai.
Ford's sales in China jumped 48% last month from a year earlier, outpacing the 5.3% gain in the country's overall market. The new Focus, launched in late April, has been selling so well that workers at the Chongqing car plant have added shifts to keep up with demand.
The engine venture also makes engines for Mazda models.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
Although the Chinese car market is expected to see growth of around 10% this year, prospects for premium brands have deteriorated as a result of the Chinese government's anti-corruption campaign, acco...
Ford has strongly rebuffed questioning from the European Commission (EC) as to whether Spanish plans to grant state aid for its Valencia project are against regulations....
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
Ford will free up much needed production capacity in North America by moving Fiesta production from Mexico to Thailand in 2016, according to a US newspaper....
BorgWarner will provide British engineered and made turbochargers for Jaguar Land Rover's (JLR's) new four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, scheduled to launch in 2015....
Fiat is considering moving corporate headquarters to the US following a planned merger with Chrysler Group, a news report said on Wednesday....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Range Rover Hybrid
- Geneva show debuts list updated
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- BMW 2 Series Convertible launched
- Volkswagen aims to triple MQB output
- Ford to manufacture over 700,000 engines at Lima
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)