US: Ford and Dow Chemical seek mass manufacture of carbon parts
Ford Motor Company has announced a new partnership with Dow Chemical Company that is set to explore cost-effective ways of replacing certain parts in future vehicles with carbonfibre components.
Lighter materials are key to all manufacturers' plans to meet ever more stringent fuel economy and emissions regulations in the world's major car markets. In Ford's case, the company says it is aiming to cut an average of between 250 pounds and 750 pounds from the range of cars and light trucks that it will be selling in North America and elsewhere by the end of this decade.
"Reducing weight will benefit the efficiency of every Ford vehicle," said Paul Mascarenas, Ford's chief technical officer. "However, it's particularly critical to improving the range of plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles."
According to a report carried by Reuters, preliminary US data shows that the average fuel economy for cars and trucks made for that country's 2011 model year was 22.8 miles per gallon. Ford's fuel economy was 21.3 miles per gallon, according to the data from the Environmental Protection Agency. The Obama administration has mandated average fuel efficiency of 54.5 miles per gallon for cars and light trucks by the 2025 model year.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global material trends sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Transport Canada has issued a recall of 27,967 units of model year 2011, 2012 and 2013 Mexican-built Ford Fiesta cars....
New to just-auto this quarter, this report has been extracted from QUBE and provides a comprehensive overview of the vehicle lightweighting megatrend, the technologies, materials and suppliers involve...
Ford India is planning a multi-pronged strategy for the high-volume Indian compact car market and may field a new entry-level small car, as well as a premium model, above its best-selling Figo, to cap...
The UK new car market grew by 8.2% to 359,612 units in September, according to data released by the SMMT....
- Q&A: Volvo XC90 chief engineer Håkan Ivarsson
- COMMENT: No wizards needed at US$100 a barrel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Minding the shop
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT: Review of front-end modules
- Magna Steyr to build vehicles for JLR
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- JLR in talks for Eastern Europe plant
- SUVs continue driving US sales growth
- TRW acquisition by ZF more than 1+1=2: Peter Lake
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2029