LA SHOW: First Fisker Karma sold in UK
The first Fisker Karma extended-range electric saloon for a UK customer will soon be delivered to the so far unnamed premiership footballer.
This means the California-based company has also set up its first service outlet so at least there will be someone to look after it. Currently there are no UK dealers.
Barny Koehler, chief executive of Fisker's European business, and a co-founder of the company along with Aston Martin DB9 and V8 Vantage designer Henrik Fisker, said it was important to establish service outlets for the car first.
He said: "The cars are left hand drive only and, in the short term, we can handle sales from Europe but we are talking to a number of parties in the UK who are interested in establishing dealerships."
Fisker and Koehler established the new car company in 2007 and developed the Karma, a series hybrid with two-litre turbocharged four cylinder petrol engine which acts as a generator when the lithium-ion battery pack - that drives a pair of rear mounted electric motors - runs out of charge.
As well as looking great, the car boasts impressive performance. Total power is 397hp with a huge 959lb ft of torque. It can do the 0-60mph sprint in 6.3sec and reach a top speed limited to 125mph.
All this at over 60 miles to the gallon while emitting 53g/km of CO2.
The fledgling carmaker has not been without its problems this year, however, with a battery recall and a fire in one vehicle caused by a fan malfunction.
Koehler said: "These are things you have to deal with as a car company. But we dealt with the battery issue in record time in the US, carrying out the work in just two weeks."
Just to make it a really bad year, Fisker also lost 300 Karmas to Hurricane Sandy a few weeks ago.
The cars are made in Finland by contract assembler Valmet and Fisker Europe is based in Munich, Germany.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Daimler is reportedly in early talks with Aston Martin over a supply arrangement to Aston Martin that is thought to involve Mercedes engines....
Tesla has named Aston Martin's vehicle engineering head, Chris Porritt, as its new vice president of vehicle engineering....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- COMMENT: Ford F-Series production soars
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- Baking Kias at 45C
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Audi SQ5 TDI plus added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Jaguar Land Rover scraps Saudi plant plan
- Nissan allocates redesigned Juke to Sunderland
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market