TUNISIA: Fire destroys Autoliv steering wheel plant
Swedish supplier Autoliv's steering wheel plant in Tunisia has been destroyed by fire.
The El Nadhour plant, which made steering wheels for more than 25 different vehicle models and accounted for 12% of production for the European auto industry, burned down during the Christmas holiday shutdown, Autoliv said in a statement on Monday.
Most of the plant's production has been transferred to another plant. The company said that insurance was expected to cover all material costs for the fire and that there would be no interruption to auto production.
Manufacturing machines were destroyed, but nearly all critical tools were saved and many were shipped to Autoliv's main European steering wheel plant in Poitiers, France. The tools are now in full-scale production, Autoliv added.
The company said it was planning to rebuild the Tunisian facility and expected it to be functional by next summer.
New Saab boss Victor Muller has voiced his concerns over the sale of Volvo by Ford to Chinese carmaker Geely....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive steering systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use th...
Autoliv has started an in-house textile airbag cushion operation in its facility in Jiading, Shanghai....
This new QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive wheels sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- Q&A with Ricardo on future powertrain technology
- Lear and Dräxlmaier on auto wiring harness trends
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- JLR clarifies ASEAN expansion goals
- China market slowdown fears mount
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- Audi, BMW, Daimler buying Nokia's Here maps
- Chery spearheads China’s auto export drive
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030