TUNISIA: Fire destroys Autoliv steering wheel plant
Swedish supplier Autoliv's steering wheel plant in Tunisia has been destroyed by fire.
The El Nadhour plant, which made steering wheels for more than 25 different vehicle models and accounted for 12% of production for the European auto industry, burned down during the Christmas holiday shutdown, Autoliv said in a statement on Monday.
Most of the plant's production has been transferred to another plant. The company said that insurance was expected to cover all material costs for the fire and that there would be no interruption to auto production.
Manufacturing machines were destroyed, but nearly all critical tools were saved and many were shipped to Autoliv's main European steering wheel plant in Poitiers, France. The tools are now in full-scale production, Autoliv added.
The company said it was planning to rebuild the Tunisian facility and expected it to be functional by next summer.
New Saab boss Victor Muller has voiced his concerns over the sale of Volvo by Ford to Chinese carmaker Geely....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive steering systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use th...
Autoliv has started an in-house textile airbag cushion operation in its facility in Jiading, Shanghai....
This new QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive wheels sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays