ITALY: Fiat 500 convertible confirmed
Fiat Auto on Monday confirmed it would be bringing a convertible version of its new 500 to market.
Roberto Giolito, styling director for the Fiat brand, told just-auto on the sidelines of the Automotive News Europe Congress in Turin that the convertible variant was definitely coming and that the design would be simple, affordable and "aimed at bringing maximum customer enjoyment".
He also confirmed the car would have a fabric top. "There have been advances in fabric tops that remove some of the perceived drawbacks," he said. "They're now tougher and more resilient through the use of new materials," he added.
BMW insiders said at the model's UK launch in Spain in April that the fabric top was their best yet (j-a found it fitted and operated perfectly with excellent motorway-speed wind noise suppression) and was considerably lighter and less complex than a folding metal top, reducing vehicle weight to the benefit of performance, fuel economy and CO2 emissions.
The 1-series cabriolet also introduced a new type of hood fabric, offered as an option, which includes metallic threads that give it a distinctive appearance.
Audi is understood to have reached a similar conclusion on the advantages of fabric vs metal when deciding on the A3 cabriolet's hood.
When the outgoing BMW 7 Series (E65/E66) was introduced late in 2001 its exterior styling became a source of some controversy, especially in Europe, writes Dave Leggett. The flamboyant lines that culm...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive roof systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this r...
Renault's man in Togliatti is Yann Vincent - and he's already working on a range of new Ladas to turn round AvtoVAZ's fortunes. Mark Bursa reports....
The head of Toyota's German finance unit has called for the government to extend its financial institution rescue package to include those that lease vehicles....
Mercedes-Benz has ranked highest in initial quality among passenger vehicle nameplates in South Africa for the first time since the survey began there in 2004, according to JD Power and Associates, an...
The Sao Paulo state government on Tuesday said it would extend a 4bn reais ($1.8bn) credit line to the local auto industry to help it cope with the financial crisis....
BMW is planning to close its Regensburg plant for an extra 14 days over the winter break....
BMW is sticking to its cost-cutting goals, despite the current financial challenges facing suppliers....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018