US: EV sales in China will fall far short of government targets - research
China has established a goal of making China the world leader in plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) sales with a target of manufacturing 500,000 PEVs per year by 2015. According to a recent report from Pike Research, annual sales of PEVs will reach only 45,000 units by 2015, increasing to 152,000 vehicles in 2017. That figure represents less than 1% of the total light duty vehicle market in China.
"As of early 2012, only a few domestically produced EV models were available to China's general public," said research director John Gartner. "Indeed, evidence is emerging to suggest that Chinese EV manufacturers have yet to develop proven technology that can propel the market. Even though it is unlikely to reach its targets, however, China's EV ambitions will provide a huge boost to electric car development worldwide in the long run."
Since 2003, Chinese automakers have released or announced the production of 40 battery electric vehicles and 31 plug-in hybrid electric vehicles that will be on the market by 2015. Chinese vehicle manufacturers such as BYD, SAIC, and Foton all delivered hybrids or PEVs to the market by 2011. Among foreign automakers, Japanese and American manufacturers - including General Motors, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota - were early entrants to the PEV market, while European suppliers have yet to announce PEV launch plans for China.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Honda will be returning to Formula One in 2015, confirming rumours which have been circulating since the Geneva show in March....
BYD has started production of new two-litre turbocharged direct injection engines and 6DT35 dual clutch transmissions in Shenzhen, Guangdong...
Opel has moved swiftly at its militant plant of Bochum in Germany, announcing the Zafira Tourer will be manufactured at Russelsheim from 2015....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- Toyota's plant and product engineering revamp
- Briefing: GM's OnStar system planned for Europe
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- Volkswagen Golf stays top of European tree in Q1
- Lotus celebrates production milestone
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2029