GERMANY: EV extender engine maker is existing BMW supplier
The Taiwanese company chosen to supply the 'range extender' two-cylinder combustion engine that will be optional with BMW's upcoming i3 electric car is an existing supplier to the BMW Group's motorcycle unit, just-auto has learned.
It has a main factory in Taiwan, three in China and one in Indonesia.
In early 2008, KYMCO was chosen by BMW to supply the engines for the G450X Enduro bike.
BMW sales and marketing head Ian Robertson said the automaker was extensively "tweaking" the base engine for use in the i8. He declined to say how much the option would cost.
The automaker has found in extensive real-world trials of electric Minis and 1-series models that 'range anxiety' diminishes once EV drivers settle into a routine and build confidence in the range of their vehicle in the context of their needs and in the availability of recharging points at workplaces. Some Mini drivers who travel only short distances daily do not even bother connecting up to their home charger every night, Robertson said.
The i3 should have a range of about 120km, extendable to about 150km if the driver-selectable 'econ' modes are used. The optional range extender combustion engine will take that to about 350km - it will only have a small fuel tank - but Robertson expects take-up to fall off as owners discover they can get their daily routine done on battery power only and make it safely to recharge points at home or work. As this is shared with other potential buyers, the number ordering the extender engine should fall.
Far away from all the usual biannual September hype emanating from the Messe in Frankfurt, those of us back at the ranch have been keeping an eye on another mess - ongoing industrial strife in South A...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Motorcycles, Scooters and Mopeds in Thousand Units by the following Product Segments: Motorcycles, Scooters, and Mopeds. The report provides separate com...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
New to QUBE in the last quarter, this report has been extracted from QUBE and provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle Engine technologies sector, major suppliers, top markets, te...
Was there a single theme to this year's biennial automotive extravaganza, otherwise known as the 65th IAA International Motor Show?...
Daimler expects profit margin at its Mercedes-Benz luxury car business to improve further next year thanks to a rejuvenated model range, its chief executive told Reuters in Frankfurt....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)