JAPAN 'QUAKE: European carmakers may rethink supplier strategy after disaster
The 11 March earthquake and tsunami in Japan could prompt European carmakers to insist on suppliers being closer to them, the chief of Europe's automobile association said.
Ivan Hodac, secretary general of the European Automobile Manufacturers Association, told a news conference in Tokyo that some members are still being affected following the disaster in March which caused many Japanese carmakers to suspend operations.
This hit overseas as well as domestic carmakers. Hodac said this could see European manufacturers rethink their procurement strategies to ensure suppliers of vital parts are closer to them.
Hodac also expressed opposition to the European Union and Japan concluding a free trade agreement, saying it would provide a ''one-sided advantage'' to Japan while not benefiting European automakers.
He said: ''There are all kinds of technical and other regulatory problems. The non-tariff barriers to trade in Japan, hidden and the official ones, are enormous.
''We'd like to have a free trade agreement, but it has to be based on a level playing field,'' he added.
Hodac said the Japanese and European auto industries should rather try to enhance cooperation to draw up regulations and standards in the field of electric vehicles.
Electric cars, he added, are exactly the area where the two countries should work together to develop joint standards such as for charging those cars.
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030