BELGIUM: EC unveils CARS2020 action plan
An action plan released by the European Commission today (8 November) will see several areas targeted including green vehicles, access to funds from the European Investment Bank, implementing 2020 CO2 targets, road safety and alternative fuels among others.
The raft of initiatives announced by the EC also includes specific reference to the possibility of large-scale plant closures in Europe as the Continent continues to endure a prolonged slump in vehicle sales.
A statement from the EC noted it would "bring together Industry Ministers, industry and trade union representatives in order to come up with coordinated actions to tackle over-capacities, ensure necessary investments and that national demand and supply-side support measures are in line with internal market and competition rules."
The Commission will also support the creation of a European Automotive Skills Council, encourage the use of the European Social Fund (ESF) for workers' retraining and re-skilling in the new financial perspective of the Structural Funds.
It will also "invite" Member States to consider using the European Globalisation Adjustment Fund (EGF).
"The European automotive industry is one of the biggest in Europe with more than EUR700bn in turnover and a multiplier effect on the entire economy via links with other sectors - steel, chemical and textile," said the EC statement.
"There are some 180 vehicle plants across the EU. The industry provides over 12m direct and indirect jobs with a significant share of highly skilled workforce. It has a hugely positive trade balance of over EUR90bn in 2011."
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: What's a Waku Waku tailgate?
- ANALYSIS: Can Evoque remain JLR’s golden goose?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo BlueGT & GTI
- Toyota's plant and product engineering revamp
- Briefing: GM's OnStar system planned for Europe
- JAPAN: Honda reveals clever ‘Waku Waku’ tailgate
- 2015 SHANGHAI SHOW: World premieres
- Ford moves Go!Drive UK car sharing into next phase
- Volkswagen Golf stays top of European tree in Q1
- Lotus celebrates production milestone
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE wipers market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2029