BELGIUM: EC raises State aid question for PSA guarantee
Europe's Competition Commission has asked France to clarify its position with regard to the US$15.2bn refinancing deal with PSA Peugeot Citroen's banks backed by a US$9bn guarantee, raising the possibility the move constitutes a form of State aid.
The French automaker yesterday (20 December) secured agreement aimed at improving liquidity at Banque PSA Finance, the company's lending division, but the arrangement has now attracted the attention of the bureaucrats in Brussels, notably Competition Commissioner, Joaquin Almunia.
"He [Almunia] reminded the French authorities they need to notify the measures to the European Commission," a spokesman for Almunia told just-auto from Brussels.
"This was aid to the restructuring of the Group according to the EC's first analysis and therefore had to be notified and approved by the EC. It is for member States under EU rules...to notify State aid...before it is actually implemented.
"The Commissioner has reminded France they need to do so in this case. We consider according to our analysis the measure is State aid in the meaning of the EU Treaty and therefore it needs an answer."
PSA confined itself to noting a letter had been sent to the French government, but maintained the help was simply a guarantee, not a direct grant.
"It is not a subsidy, it is just a guarantee," a PSA spokeswoman told just-auto from Paris. "It is a guarantee by the State, that is all."
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
Shrugging off French air traffic controllers' strike action, this week saw many of the industry's top executives gather for Automotive News Europe's Congress in Paris. Here is a brief snapshot of what...
The analysts writing this report forecast the Global Automotive Camera Module market to reach US$1,554.72 million by 2016....
The analysts writing this report forecast Global Automotive Head-up Display market to grow at a CAGR of 28.61 percent over the period 2012-2016....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- INTERVIEW: Ford Europe COO Barb Samardzich
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018