BELGIUM: EC probes PSA Peugeot Citroen government guarantee as state aid
Competition authorities in the European Commission say the French government has confirmed its guarantee to PSA Peugeot Citroen for its banking division, represents state aid and that the process will now be subject to a two-month evaluation.
At the end of last year, the French automaker secured agreement aimed at improving liquidity at Banque PSA Finance, the company's lending division, but the arrangement attracted the attention of the bureaucrats in Brussels, notably competition commissioner Joaquin Almunia.
PSA Peugeot Citroen is insisting the US$9bn guarantee made available by the French government for its banking division is a "help" and not a subsidy, but the EC says Paris has now conceded to Brussels the move does represent State aid.
However, the automaker is maintaining its stance the assistance will actually see the French State benefit from the move.
"It is not a subsidy," a PSA spokeswoman told just-auto from Paris. "It is a guarantee, a paying guarantee, it will bring the state money.
"It is a help or an aid, but it is not a subsidy. It is a kind of aid, yes, but not a subsidy in the sense they are giving us money."
For its part, the EC noted: "We confirm that the commission received notification from the French authorities on Monday, 7 January [in the] evening," a spokesman for Almunia told just-auto from Brussels.
"Once the notification is complete, the commission has two months to take a decision."
A separate spokeswoman in the EC confirmed to just-auto the notification was for state aid.
The analysts writing this report forecast the Global Automotive Camera Module market to reach US$1,554.72 million by 2016....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The analysts writing this report forecast Global Automotive Head-up Display market to grow at a CAGR of 28.61 percent over the period 2012-2016....
Urgent and concerted action needs to be taken to address the contentious issue of automotive over-capacity in Europe, but also in developing markets according to a study by KPMG....
This report is based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. The report covers the Americas and the APAC and EMEA regions; it also covers the Global Advanced Driver Assistanc...
A spokesman for Dongfeng Motor has reportedly told a Chinese newspaper that the state-controlled firm has no comment to make over rumours of it buying into PSA Peugeot Citroën....
Mitsubishi Motors has started production of the 2013 Pajero Sport midsize SUV at its joint venture [with PSA] PCMA Rus assembly plant in Kaluga, Russia....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Peugeot Quartz concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn