BELGIUM: EC probes PSA Peugeot Citroen government guarantee as state aid
Competition authorities in the European Commission say the French government has confirmed its guarantee to PSA Peugeot Citroen for its banking division, represents state aid and that the process will now be subject to a two-month evaluation.
At the end of last year, the French automaker secured agreement aimed at improving liquidity at Banque PSA Finance, the company's lending division, but the arrangement attracted the attention of the bureaucrats in Brussels, notably competition commissioner Joaquin Almunia.
PSA Peugeot Citroen is insisting the US$9bn guarantee made available by the French government for its banking division is a "help" and not a subsidy, but the EC says Paris has now conceded to Brussels the move does represent State aid.
However, the automaker is maintaining its stance the assistance will actually see the French State benefit from the move.
"It is not a subsidy," a PSA spokeswoman told just-auto from Paris. "It is a guarantee, a paying guarantee, it will bring the state money.
"It is a help or an aid, but it is not a subsidy. It is a kind of aid, yes, but not a subsidy in the sense they are giving us money."
For its part, the EC noted: "We confirm that the commission received notification from the French authorities on Monday, 7 January [in the] evening," a spokesman for Almunia told just-auto from Brussels.
"Once the notification is complete, the commission has two months to take a decision."
A separate spokeswoman in the EC confirmed to just-auto the notification was for state aid.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Urgent and concerted action needs to be taken to address the contentious issue of automotive over-capacity in Europe, but also in developing markets according to a study by KPMG....
A spokesman for Dongfeng Motor has reportedly told a Chinese newspaper that the state-controlled firm has no comment to make over rumours of it buying into PSA Peugeot Citroën....
Mitsubishi Motors has started production of the 2013 Pajero Sport midsize SUV at its joint venture [with PSA] PCMA Rus assembly plant in Kaluga, Russia....
PSA Peugeot-Citroen's moderate CFTC union says it would "not be astonished" if new capital was to be injected into the struggling automaker, although it declined to be drawn on whether this could see ...
Philippe Varin, Chairman of the Managing Board of PSA Peugeot Citroën, has inaugurated the third plant operated by Dongfeng Peugeot Citroën Automobiles (DPCA), the group's joint venture with Dongfeng,...
DuPont is focusing on thermoplastic composites as part of its global strategy to develop technologies that reduce emphasis on fossil fuels....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Range Rover Hybrid
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- Geneva show debuts list updated
- BMW 2 Series Convertible launched
- No Mexico-Brazil agreement on new auto pact
- Volkswagen aims to triple MQB output
- Ford to manufacture over 700,000 engines at Lima
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update