RUSSIA: GAZ 'not going near' to buying in European automotive: Deripaska
Deripaska's comments follow last November's agreement between Russian Railways (RZD) and PSA Peugeot Citroen subsidiary, Gefco, to acquire 75% of the logistics division in an EUR800m (US$1.07bn) deal.
"I would not advise GAZ to buy at the moment in European automotive," Deripaska told just-auto from Moscow. "There is of course, critical components Russia needs, but with the high Euro, we need to be practical.
"High Euro and issues with the labour market in Europe - I would not believe we go near to buy something in Europe at this moment."
RZD president, Vladimir Yakunin, said the rail operator's move into Gefco would drive the development of freight activity between Asia and Europe, with Russia, Belarussia and Kazakhstan expecting to form a common rail logistics business.
Deripaska insists his focus lies closer to home despite the domestic challenges of high interest and capital costs and will look at existing capacity.
"We have high cost of capital and high interest rate, which creates advantages for importers," he continued to just-auto. "Our main focus is to utilise our capacity.
"I could not say for our products and our customers we can add anything significant by buying operations in Europe. We would rather add Asia with available capital and finding cheap inner cost."
GAZ - part of Russian Machines and Basic Element - started Chevrolet's Aveo production last week at its Nizhny Novgorod facility 250mi east of Moscow and also produces vehicles for Volkswagen and Skoda.
General Motors and GAZ Group inked the deal in 2011 to produce the Aveo in Russia, with the companies investing US$29m to ramp up the existing Nizhny Novgorod passenger car production facility.
Truck Manufacturing in Eastern Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast t...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global diesel technologies sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Iran Khodro (IKCO) says it is hopeful Iran's recent election of a new President will allow more partners - as well as its old Renault and Peugeot business allies - to have full operations in the count...
The analysts in this report forecast the Medium and Heavy Truck market in BRIC to grow at a CAGR of 11.05 percent over the period 2011-2015. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth i...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018