NETHERLANDS: Deputy PM in talks with BMW over NedCar plant
A complete takeover of Nedcar is near "but we are not there yet," Verhagen, who is also the deputy prime minister, told the media earlier on 28 June.
The facility, at Born, was once a three-way joint venture between the Dutch state, Mitsubishi Motors (MMC) and Volvo Cars. MMC has since taken ownership of the plant, which builds small numbers of the outdated Colt hatchback. In February it stated that it would close NedCar at the end of 2012.
VDL, the Eindhoven-based Dutch industrial group stated recently that it would take over the plant but only if a major customer could be found. Rumours surrounding BMW Group surfaced some weeks ago but until now, there has been no confirmation
The site at Born would appear to be a logical location for the expansion of Mini production as the Group's Cowley plant near Oxford is running close to capacity and BMW has already outsourced build of the Mini Countryman to Magna Steyr.
Author: Glenn Brooks
If memory serves, about two days ago, our 'slide show' at the top of the home page had four bad-news, job-loss-related stories out of the seven we rotate. Grim....
A final list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the North American International Auto Show's media preview days....
BMW is confident it can sustain double-digit sales growth in Malaysia next year as demand for its car grows....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Range Rover Hybrid
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- Geneva show debuts list updated
- BMW 2 Series Convertible launched
- No Mexico-Brazil agreement on new auto pact
- Volkswagen aims to triple MQB output
- Ford to manufacture over 700,000 engines at Lima
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update