NETHERLANDS: Deputy PM in talks with BMW over NedCar plant
A complete takeover of Nedcar is near "but we are not there yet," Verhagen, who is also the deputy prime minister, told the media earlier on 28 June.
The facility, at Born, was once a three-way joint venture between the Dutch state, Mitsubishi Motors (MMC) and Volvo Cars. MMC has since taken ownership of the plant, which builds small numbers of the outdated Colt hatchback. In February it stated that it would close NedCar at the end of 2012.
VDL, the Eindhoven-based Dutch industrial group stated recently that it would take over the plant but only if a major customer could be found. Rumours surrounding BMW Group surfaced some weeks ago but until now, there has been no confirmation
The site at Born would appear to be a logical location for the expansion of Mini production as the Group's Cowley plant near Oxford is running close to capacity and BMW has already outsourced build of the Mini Countryman to Magna Steyr.
Author: Glenn Brooks
If memory serves, about two days ago, our 'slide show' at the top of the home page had four bad-news, job-loss-related stories out of the seven we rotate. Grim....
A final list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the North American International Auto Show's media preview days....
BMW is confident it can sustain double-digit sales growth in Malaysia next year as demand for its car grows....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Big fish eaten by bigger fish
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar launches India assembled XJ
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn