NETHERLANDS: Deputy PM in talks with BMW over NedCar plant
A complete takeover of Nedcar is near "but we are not there yet," Verhagen, who is also the deputy prime minister, told the media earlier on 28 June.
The facility, at Born, was once a three-way joint venture between the Dutch state, Mitsubishi Motors (MMC) and Volvo Cars. MMC has since taken ownership of the plant, which builds small numbers of the outdated Colt hatchback. In February it stated that it would close NedCar at the end of 2012.
VDL, the Eindhoven-based Dutch industrial group stated recently that it would take over the plant but only if a major customer could be found. Rumours surrounding BMW Group surfaced some weeks ago but until now, there has been no confirmation
The site at Born would appear to be a logical location for the expansion of Mini production as the Group's Cowley plant near Oxford is running close to capacity and BMW has already outsourced build of the Mini Countryman to Magna Steyr.
Author: Glenn Brooks
If memory serves, about two days ago, our 'slide show' at the top of the home page had four bad-news, job-loss-related stories out of the seven we rotate. Grim....
A final list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the North American International Auto Show's media preview days....
BMW is confident it can sustain double-digit sales growth in Malaysia next year as demand for its car grows....
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- JLR recreates 1948 line for Defender plant tour
- Most cars unscathed by Osaka drama: ship owner
- GENEVA DEBUTS: McLaren 675 Longtail
- Ford 2014 operating profit plunges $2.3bn
- Honda changes air bag supplier from Takata
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle HVAC market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029