INDIA: Datsun plant planned for Chennai
This plant will have an annual output capacity of 200,000 units and production is slated to start in 2014, along with lower-priced Renault models under development.
It will be sited next to the existing Nissan-Renault joint venture plants near Chennai and the new facilities will raise capacity there to 600,000 units annually.
The alliance also uses the Chennai plant as an export base for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The new plant will allow an increased export capacity to help Renault and Nissan accelerate their moves into emerging markets.
Nissan is reviving its old Datsun brand for emerging markets, planning to initially roll out two models while the new plant is also expected to produce a new model to be developed for India.
The proposed Indian model will target the burgeoning middle class. Nissan aims eventually to have Datsuns account for up to half of its new vehicle sales in India.
Nissan's sales in India grew 46% on the year to 33,000 units in 2012. The company's market share stands at around 1%, a figure it aims to lift to 10% in fiscal 2016 with its low-priced offerings.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Nissan has applied to its local authorities for permission to add 25,000 square metres of capacity to its Sunderland plant in North-East England....
Nissan will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next generation full-size pick-up in the US....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- Baking Kias at 45C
- Key trends in the automotive air-con market
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: BMW plug-in 2AT added
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market