INDIA: Dacia/Renault Duster becomes Nissan Terrano
The Terrano is due to be in Nissan India's showrooms from October
Nissan India has revealed its own version of the Dacia and Renault Duster SUV. The new Terrano will be made alongside the Renault Duster at the Alliance's plant on the outskirts of the southern port city of Chennai.
"Terrano marks our entry into the compact SUV segment, which is one of the fastest-growing segments in the Indian market today," said Kenichiro Yomura, president of Nissan's India unit.
The Duster has been the most successful vehicle for Renault in India with sales of about 60,000 units since its local introduction in July 2012. SUV sales in India surged 52% in the fiscal year ended 31 March to 553,660 units, compared with a 6.7% decline in the sales of cars to 1.9 million units. But a recent 3.0 percentage point increase in factory tax on SUVs to 30% has affected demand in the segment, the Wall Street Journal notes.
Nissan India sold 7,499 vehicles between April and July, a decline of 47% from a year earlier. It exported 28,232 vehicles, a 0.8% drop.
The Alliance's Oragadam plant builds the Nissan Sunny, Evalia and March models, as well as the Stile, a version of the Evalia MPV for Ashok Leyland. Locally made Renault models are the Duster SUV, Koleos SUV and Fluence sedan, as well as the Nissan Sunny-based Scala sedan and Nissan March-based Pulse hatchback. Production of the Datsun Go, itself closely related to the March and Pulse, will be added from 2014.
Author: Glenn Brooks
PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
PLDB from just-auto.com is a cost effective, vehicle cycle plan database, showing the production life of all major current and future vehicle models produced (or to be produced) globally by all brands...read more
Dacia is an automobile company that currently produces a small range of vehicles aimed at the low cost end of the market. The brand is owned by Renault and is doing very well currently in a number of ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global 4WD and AWD sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gai...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Passenger Cars in Thousands Units (Annual Sales as well as Production). The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Japan, E...
Sales of new light passenger vehicles in China increased by 10.1% to 1,881,835 units in January, from 1,709,230 units a year earlier, according to data released by the China Passenger Car Association....
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (2)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- SWEDEN: NEVS/Saab enters administration
- Volvo to skip all-aluminium for carbon fibre
- SWEDEN: Redesign moves XC90 up market in UK
- Kia to build new plant for American markets
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018